Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Which college should he choose?

Hi All.... My son is a High School senior and is currently applying to many colleges. He has good grades 97 avg. and about a 1350 SAT. He is interested in Business and Finance but that changes monthly lol. His strengths in school subjects are math and science. He is very into sports and has played 3 sports in HS. He has mostly applied so far to larger universities such as, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, Boston, etc.

Please give me your insight about these schools and any others large or small that may help him. I am relying on your experiences on schools you attended or currently attend.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Which college should he choose?

I went to Maryland. They have a highly respected business school FWIW. I wasn't in it though, so I couldn't really give much detail.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:09 PM

Michigan. Make sure he goes to a big school with at least 10k students or a state school. Even if he goes to Party U, all he has to do is get into a good grad school and he is set.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:11 PM

I went to Pomona College of the Claremont Colleges in California.

Yout cannot beat the education, he would be able to play a varsity sport, and he gets to live in Southern California. Also, their acceptance rate into grad school is off the charts.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Pomona College of the Claremont Colleges in California.

Yout cannot beat the education, he would be able to play a varsity sport, and he gets to live in Southern California. Also, their acceptance rate into grad school is off the charts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Pomona is the 3rd toughest entry right now. I'd have a backup plan.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate all the info.
The guidance department at his school feels the Ivy schools would be a reach because of his SAT scores. They feel you need about 100 points higher than he got for those schools. The same has been said Duke and UVA.

As far as varsity sports in college he could play soccer or lacrosse at a D3 school, but feels he would rather go to a larger university.

I wonder if he might get a little lost at a Michigan type school. We are going to visit a few schools in ther next couple of months. It's ultimately going to be his choice but I certainly appreciate all the help.

Please continue to give me all of your opinions and views.

I will show him this thread and discuss it with him later

Thanks Again
Old 11-04-2005, 03:47 PM

i was in this boat too about 3 years ago. I'm from austin and had a 92 avg at a private college prep school, my sat was 1410. I major in advertising here at UTexas. My advice: find the best school that also meets your social needs. I could have also played D3 lacrosse, but i didn't like small schools.

So:
research yourself
visit one small one medium and one large school
which one does your son like the best?
now, find the best business schools that are that size...and proceed accordingly.

as for college lacrosse check www.uslia.com -the club teams are pretty competetive (d3 level at least for the top 25-30 teams)
Old 11-04-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if he might get a little lost at a Michigan type school. We are going to visit a few schools in ther next couple of months. It's ultimately going to be his choice but I certainly appreciate all the help.

[/ QUOTE ]
I say Michigan if he's serious about Business. Excellent undergraduate business program. As another poster said, he'll have to keep his grades up for his first two years, and apply for admission into the Business school for entry in his Junior year.

HOWEVER -- I have heard that this is changing. It may already have, definitely check up on this, but I heard that there were plans to make the undergraduate Business education into a 4-year plan, i.e. you apply for admission to the B-school straight out of high school.

In terms of whether or not he will get lost -- if he makes it into the B-school, it's a small enough community within the school, I think it would suit him well.

Yes it's cold. I disliked that a lot, but that's about all that I disliked.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM

I'm going to have to throw UT in here for consideration. Great McCombs business school, 4 year program. And the business school classes are very good. I don't know what it costs for an Out of State Student, but it won't be any more expensive than other Out of state schools. FWIW, is your son interested in a fraternity to shrink the school? Maybe a club sports team? Austin is a great town AND we beat UM in football last year. So take that Ann Arbor.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:23 PM

Don't forget about driving NE for about an hour and change to visit the University of Delaware. Not overwhelmingly large (17k ungrads), better than average business and engineering schools (overall the school was ranked #66 across the nation for public universities - a couple spots behind MD) and a very good I-AA sports program (take your pick with whatever sport). Your son won't feel lost, he will be an hours drive to Bawlmer (Baltimore), a 1/2 drive into Philly and there are no worries about work/fun during the summer...Ocean City, Rehobeth and Dewey Beaches are convienently close.

School is what you make it to be...my father told me I had two choices - finish near the top of your class and THEY will come knocking down your door, or, relax, do fairly well, party and you will have to go to THEM. I choose the latter and don't regret it. I run my own business and play poker for fun whenever I want.

Good luck