Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 PM

Default SH 5/10NL turn semi-bluff, am I doing this right?

Hi, guys. Long time reader, but never posted a hand. This one is probably not that interesting, but I'm just trying to grasp SH play, so comments on all streets are very appreciated.

No really good read on the villain in this hand, except that he is pretty aggressive, especially when he is preflop raiser or when it's checked to him. In a few pots I played with him I had to fold most of the times to pot-sized bets on flop or turn. Normally I'm pretty aggressive, but I have been cold-decked, so I haven't had too many chances to fight back, so he might view me as weak-tight, not sure about that though. But it's starting to feel somewhat like villain thinks he has a license for pushing me out of the pots.

His raise on the flop is more likely to be a made hand than a draw, even though he might have picked up a heart draw on the turn. So he probably has TP with or without FD or overpair, set or maybe something like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] but I think the last two are less likely.

5/10 NL online, 4 handed

SB $1,308.00
BB (Hero) $1,508.00
CO $2,493.50
Button $1,152.00

dealt to Hero 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

CO raises to 30$, Button calls $30, SB folds, Hero calls $20

Flop: (pot = 95$) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $75, CO raises to $175, Button folds, Hero calls $100

Turn: (pot = 445$) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, CO bets $300, Hero goes all in for $1303

Not sure of any other way to play this. Maybe this push would have more folding equity without second heart on the board. I might just call the turn if I were in position, but OOP when I hit my hand, unless it's a gutshot, I'm not sure what to do. CR the flop might leave me in a big pot in a worst possible position against 1 or even 2 opponents. Maybe case could be made for 3-betting the flop all in, but it doesn't feel right to push 130bb into 30bb pot.

Thoughts? Sorry if it's a boring one.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: SH 5/10NL turn semi-bluff, am I doing this right?

I dont think he calls your all in with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], he might, I likke the folding equity that you gain from this play. You got any 7, 4, or diamond will probably give you the pot, so I say nh.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 PM

You're really not overbetting that much.

450+300 = 750

Your "call" = 1050

So you're actually betting about 1000 on a pot of 1050.

By the way, I like.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 PM

I like it
Old 11-19-2005, 02:08 AM

The thing is though, that if I put him on a made hand, it it's either a set or a TP/overpair. Against a set, I have 0 folding equity, so a push is losing money proposition. Against a pair call is +EV by itself, plus I don't loose more money to a set unless I hit.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:04 AM

I like this play, gh.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:36 AM

Oh, you moved in on the turn! Now it looks good!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:15 PM

I like it...the way you played it your hand looks like a monster. I made a little program that calculates fold
equity on the turn...if you have 9 outs to win they both have to fold 55% of the time in order for this play to break even.
If you have 13 outs then they have to fold 60% of the time(but then again your not very likely to get called by someone that you have 13 outs against).

Im trying to decide what would be more profitable given your opponents hand ranges....calling or making a move.

Its not so easy. If your up against a calling station with tptk then its soooo much better to call.
An argument for raising is it can get a better flush draw out of there.
blah, i dont know.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:18 PM

in last post change 60% to 40% when you have 13 outs.

Another thing...this play is very good for your image. If you get called and show down a pair of fours your much more likely to get paid off with your made hands.