Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: why WSOP main event only 10K?

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing is even remotely close to the WSOP main event

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2005, 10:49 PM

if you google for this topic, i bet you will find 4,000,000,000,000 other posts before you asking the same thing, on every single poker forum in existance.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:22 AM

exactly.

they NEED to raise it. what the hell are they going to do with 10 or 20 entries??
Old 10-28-2005, 01:26 AM

than don't open the up the post. only open what interests you.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:14 AM

In the new cardplayer, they talk about the tournament that will be in January.. 250k buyin.

100 person double shootout.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:12 AM

I hope they don't change it for a while.

The WSOP main event certainly has changed from what it once was. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. It is the only tournament in the world that has such a gigantic field. Some may gripe about it being a massive clusterf*ck but that is what makes it great. It is truly a test of endurance, skill, and luck. The excitement that is created by the main event is feeding the poker boom. Without the large field what separates it from another WPT event?

I'm not sure the pros would want the buy-in to be increased either. Think of the side action these guys are getting with thousands of wanna-be's with money to burn!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is truly a test of endurance, skill, and luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still sticking with the lottery theory. In the "old" days the world series was supposed to determine the best poker player. Now you have 6,500 donkeys on there calling all in preflop with K9o in the first level because they won a $11 satellite.

A month of 1.5k hold'em events followed by a 10k 6,500 entry main event hardly proves who's the best poker player.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:50 AM

I doubt they will ever get as many people as last year. Though I agree bumping it to narrow the field a good idea but not a must.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you google for this topic, i bet you will find 4,000,000,000,000 other posts before you asking the same thing, on every single poker forum in existance.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no other poker forum.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is truly a test of endurance, skill, and luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still sticking with the lottery theory. In the "old" days the world series was supposed to determine the best poker player. Now you have 6,500 donkeys on there calling all in preflop with K9o in the first level because they won a $11 satellite.

A month of 1.5k hold'em events followed by a 10k 6,500 entry main event hardly proves who's the best poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but who's the donkey? The guy w/ nothing to lose calling all in w/ K9o or the pro dumb enough to go all in during the first level of play sitting at a table knowing he's the best player?
I'm not saying this stratagy would work, but if I were a pro I would try to see as many flops cheaply as possible. Then after the flop outplay the donkey because from what I've seen on TV (granted it's a small sample) these suckers do not like to tangle after the flop with the pros. What's the worst that can happen to a pro? He gets knocked out and plays a side game and makes his entry fee back in a few hours?