Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Tim Duncan: \"Retarded\"

Is anyone else as shocked as I am about his comment regarding the proposed NBA dress code? Sorry I don't have the link, but I'm sure most of you sports fans know what I'm talking about.

Is it me, or if a "white male devil" said anything was "retarded", he'd be forced to make a public apology and retire or step down from whatever position he held at that time?

I mean I saw his comment, and was like "Whoa...he oughtta hear some S*** for that one... poor guy". I mean he's a good ambassador for the game, but come on...

Honestly, he should apologize for using this word. BTW, I'm not one of these "PC policemen", but I just think that it's unfair treatment. The NBA loves African-American superstars that have their head screwed on correctly, and thus, I don't think they are going to make an issue of this.

To me, an NBA superstar publicly likening anything to being "Retarded", is far more offensive than wearing gold chains. Stern isn't seeing the trees for the forest.

In the words of Steven A. Smith: "Yeah, I said it. Get over it."
Old 10-21-2005, 11:04 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: Tim Duncan: \"Retarded\"

I have no idea what you're talking about. You really should try to find the link if you want to foster a discussion.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:27 AM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5009466

Tim Duncan uses this word routinely. I do as well (in private situations) with some regret - it really isn't necessary. Any white guy who said this would be ridiculed. Also, it is an incorrect usage of the word. "Retarded" is used to indicate slow emotional or academic progress. It is not a synonym for stupid. Maybe the dress code is stupid, but it's certainly not retarded, and neither is nearly everything Duncan calls retarded. He needs a dictionarry.
"Yo I thought the knomes was out."
"Nah, Tim, the daises are out."
The Admiral would never call this "retarded."
Thank you for your time.

HE GOT GAME.

ZZzzZZzz
Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 AM

"I think it's a load of crap," Duncan said. "I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded.

"I don't like the direction they're going, but who am I?"

Duncan said he might choose to stay in the locker room on nights he isn't playing.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:32 AM

I found Marcus Camby's comment to be worse. he said the league should give them a stipend to buy suits. Imagine that he makes 7M plus and wants more to buy suits....
Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM

Sprewell said he needed $14 million to feed his family.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:41 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Thanks andy.

Haha, that's it? That's what caused the outrage for this post? Agreed, it's not the most appropriate thing to say, but it's hardly worth getting bent out of shape over. To imply that he gets a free pass because of his race is downright retarded. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Sprewell said he needed $14 million to feed his family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn Kemp does.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it is an incorrect usage of the word. "Retarded" is used to indicate slow emotional or academic progress. It is not a synonym for stupid. Maybe the dress code is stupid, but it's certainly not retarded, and neither is nearly everything Duncan calls retarded. He needs a dictionarry.
ZZzzZZzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I wasn't going to bring this up as well but you are correct. Anyone who calls something that is "unnecessary" "retarded", is actually showing signs of retarded mental progress. He has probably used this term over and over when it didn't make sense, and yet he keeps using it. His mental progress is what is retarded.

I'm just a bit shocked that a huge firestorm hasn't come out of all this, that's all.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not the most appropriate thing to say, but it's hardly worth getting bent out of shape over. To imply that he gets a free pass because of his race is downright retarded. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of these comments are true. I'm not bent out of shape about this. I'm just very surprised that nobody has even mentioned his use of the word "retarded", and that it is totally inappropriate.

Also, I never implied that he should get a free pass because he's black. I simply feel that if a white male of high rank in his respective field said something was retarded, he'd have h*** to pay, and would likely leave his position.

So much for "equal treatment", eh? eh?? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]