Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 06:16 PM

Default What\'s your favorite SEAT at the table, and why?

Throughout my years of playing, my favorite seat (independent of position in relation to the players at the table) has changed several times for various reasons.

Here's my breakdown of the seats for a 10-handed table (where I play mostly). Slight difference with 9-handed.

1 & 10: Next to the dealer seats.
2,3, 8 & 9: End/corner seats.
4, 7: Ends of front row.
5,6: Front (split the dealer "box').
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In the beginning...my favorite seat(s) were the end seats (#s 2,3,7, and 8 at 9-handed tables).

REASON/PROS:
- They tended to have the most leg/shoulder room (I'm 6'2", 240lbs).
- Plenty of room for mountains of chips.
CONS:
- Can be hard to read the board. Long way to muck cards.
Then I started playing at mostly 10-handed tables (which were wider) and it was too hard to read the board from the end seats. Then my favorites changed to the front seats.

REASON/PROS:
- Great visibility. The cards look twice as clear and big compared to the end seats.
CONS:
- Can sometimes be cramped (cardroom/table dependent).
Currently my favorite seat is next to the dealer. Specifically seat #1, but #10 is a close second.

REASON/PROS:
- Since I've been adjusting from a LAG to a TAG, I'm folding more hands. I prefer to fold as non-descript as possible (for table image reasons) and it's easiest to slide your cards right in the muck from the #1 seat. No fuss, no muss.
- Easier to get in and out of my seat (in my particular cardroom).
CONS:
- Cannot see the opposite (Seat 1 or 10) at all. Hard to act in turn if you're seat 1.
- Often get in the dealer's way. Stacking your chips in outward walls are out.
So what is YOUR favorite seat and why? I'm interested in hearing other's take on the PROS & CONS of each seat.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: What\'s your favorite SEAT at the table, and why?

To the left of where ever you sit.

OK, I realized I forgot to include the pros & cons, so I edited my post.

Pro: You probably don't have a concept of position, and since you have a rather laggy past there is a good chance you will enter the pot with some poor starting hands, or perhaps open limp often. This allows me to use my position effectively and often.

Cons: Not to many, unless you or the guy to my left smell really bad. But that doesn't seem to happen that often. Only other con is if you are sitting in the 9 seat, my left leg might get buried into the drop box but I can suffer in exchange for the positional advantages I have.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To the left of where ever you sit.

Pro: You probably don't have a concept of position, and since you have a rather laggy past there is a good chance you will enter the pot with some poor starting hands, or perhaps open limp often. This allows me to use my position effectively and often.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]nh...runner, runner...

Since you definitely don't have a concept of time (past <> present), nor the term agressive (AG = never open limping), I wouldn't mind a player of your obvious deductive reasoning skills on my left.

BDH [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2005, 09:29 PM

"To the left of where ever you sit"

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:19 AM

The end seats let me see all the other players at the table w/o making it obvious that I'm looking at them. Unless I want position on a particular player(s) I sit on either end, if I can.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 AM

I am usually forced to take which ever seat is open at the table.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:52 AM

I generally prefer the end seats, partly for the reasons you already discussed in the original post, plus the ability to view every player without being quite so obvious about it.

That said, once I get good reads on most of the players, if I have the chance to shift to a more advantageous seat position-wise, I'll do it, I don't care which seat it is.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- Since I've been adjusting from a LAG to a TAG, I'm folding more hands. I prefer to fold as non-descript as possible (for table image reasons) and it's easiest to slide your cards right in the muck from the #1 seat. No fuss, no muss.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:00 PM

If all things at table are equal and no preference based on player quality I would say seat 10 is my favourite.

Reasoning is I can easily see all player who act before me because they are basically right in front of me, the players acting after me often have a hard time seeing me especially 1 and 2. Downside is often cramped with dealer so I can't create huge towers(not usually an issue). ANother pro is close for rebuys.
I used to like 3,8(on the ends) but know feel like I am on display being as devistatingly handsome as I am.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:31 PM

7/8/9. for the leg room , the 10 seat is the worst seat i the house IMHO cause my knee is always banging th F*#&ing rake box. Also usually means I'm to the left of most of the maniacs/Donks.