Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Top Set, Bad Slowplay?

Table Table 36766 (6 max) (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: sky20 ( $75.7)
Seat 2: howser21 ( $89.75)
Seat 3: borko6 ( $164.7)
Seat 4: i3ond008 ( $64.2)
Seat 5: slips28 ( $103.95)
Seat 6: FTPickle ( $72.5)
borko6 posts small blind (0.5)
i3ond008 posts big blind (1)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to slips28 [ J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
slips28 raises (4) to 4
FTPickle folds.
sky20 folds.
howser21 folds.
borko6 folds.
i3ond008 calls (3)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
i3ond008 checks.
slips28 checks.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
i3ond008 checks.
slips28 bets (7)
i3ond008 calls (7)
** Dealing River ** : [ K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
i3ond008 checks.
slips28 bets (12)
i3ond008 raises (35) to 35
slips28 calls (23)
** Summary **
Main Pot: $90.5 | Rake: $2

Is this a bad check on the flop. Should i maybe overbet the flop. I guess by checking he decided to call a gutshot on the turn whereas if i bet the flop and the turn he probably wouldn't have called two relatively large bets for a gutshot. I called his river raise, questionable, and he showed AQ the straight.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Top Set, Bad Slowplay?

[ QUOTE ]

Is this a bad check on the flop. Should i maybe overbet the flop. I guess by checking he decided to call a gutshot on the turn whereas if i bet the flop and the turn he probably wouldn't have called two relatively large bets for a gutshot. I called his river raise, questionable, and he showed AQ the straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you do if you had AK? AA? One straight draw on board I'm definetly betting something trying to build a pot. There are a good amount of hands that will call you and some that will play back.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:56 PM

I think it looks suspicious not to bet the flop. Id bet it just for thatnice work though. A lot of times you don't need to really slowplay in SS, the people will call if theyre gonna call. So i lead the flop for like 5ish? Anyone like this?
Hope he didnt call your bet on the turn with a gutshot....
Old 06-06-2005, 03:57 PM

I don't mind the slowplay too much on this board. I think that the check-raise on the river was pretty telling of the opponents strength; most river check-raises in smallish pots mean this to me. Further evidence is the checked flop and check-call on the turn. I probably call hoping to see KQ or KT, but the result wasn't overly surprising.

Since you showed the result, I can also point out that the opponent's turn call of 7 was pretty sloppy, as he has to get stacked off almost every time he makes his gut shot to make up for the times when he misses. If he puts you on a PP or even TPTK, I still think he played the turn wrong.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:01 PM

<EDIT: I misread post. I thought, obviously, AA/AK was supposed to be in the villain's hand>
I think AK/AA is pretty wishful thinking given the limp
call. Villain already had 2 limpers in front, so I think AK/AA are both raising hands here.

From the play here I expected KQ much more because of the open ended straight draw. He could have gotten frisky with the top pair on the end, hoping to fold something like AJ.

<EDIT #2: Wow, I completely misread this hand. Missed the fact that the villain was BB. We can pretty much disregard my post as a thought excercise... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] >
Old 06-06-2005, 04:03 PM

I'm gonna get spiritual here... I think its like a 'Murphy's Law' or something, but here it is;

If you slowplay, karma will kick you in the *ss.

My biggest losses with big pocket pairs like Kings or Aces were all where I decided to get cute and limp preflop... inevitably, someone limps in with junk since its so cheap and hits some ridiculous hand.

If I slowplay my sets, then there will be a runner runner flush or straight. everytime it happens I remind myself why I'm supposed to consistantly bet.

Then other thing; what if you missed? Wouldn't you make a continuation bet anyways?

I have actually become suspicious when a normally aggressive player raises (or reraises) someone preflop. Then checks on the flop (when they're normally auto-betting).

You would ALWAYS bet that flop with just about any hand you would have raised preflop with . So bet here too.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think AK/AA is pretty wishful thinking given the limp call. Villain already had 2 limpers in front, so I think AK/AA are both raising hands here.

[/ QUOTE ]

There weren't any limpers here. Regardless I wasn't implying villian had either of these I am asking OP what he would do if he had these hands on this flop.

PS OP, use the hand converted to make these easier to go through.

Walla! The hand converter.