Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Is this spew? (results posted)

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a true calling station, then I am calling down after he raises the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a flop like this and a calling station raising the flop, I'd call down too.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured he likes his Ace and thinks I have a lower pair. I didn't even consider A3/A4/25/33/44

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? I'm not saying that it's certain he has one of these, but any time an ostensibly passive player wakes up it has to make you start thinking very carefully about potential hand ranges.

Even passive players raise aces sometimes. However, there's a reasonable chance you're drawing when he pops the flop and there's nobody else to pad the pot. I just call the flop, check/call the turn, and think about donking the river (planning to fold to a raise) if I'm afraid he checks it through too often -- he won't even always raise when we're behind, he's unlikely to fold a worse hand, and we're planning to call a bet anyway, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure exactly 1 bet goes in on the river UI. If I think he checks through 2-pair sometimes I could see checking instead, but this is one of those rivers where he might well only bet when you're behind but will call a bet when you're ahead (meaning that even if putting in chips on the river turns out to be incorrect full stop, it's still going to be less incorrect when you're the one doing the betting as long as you don't pay off a raise).
Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 PM

grunch

i check/call the turn, i think you are behind more often than not but have more than enough outs and hidden outs to see a river.

if the turn gets checked through i lead the river, otherwise i just check/call again, although folding wouldnt be a bad play... i think your good 1 in 8 here?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grunch

i check/call the turn, i think you are behind more often than not but have more than enough outs and hidden outs to see a river.

if the turn gets checked through i lead the river, otherwise i just check/call again, although folding wouldnt be a bad play... i think your good 1 in 8 here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that would be our odds on the river call.
However, to decide to call this down we are paying 2 BB for a pot that in the end will be 7.25 BB (5.25 BB after he c/r flop and we call + one Villan will put in on turn and one on river). After rake we'll say 7, are we good (or will we improve to be good) 2:7 (29%) of the time here cause that's what we have to consider if we decide wr'e gonna call down.

Now I would allways call the flop C/R (more for my meta-game image) but if we don't improve on the turn I'm not willing to pay 2 BB for a pot this size against a passive player.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:06 PM

I think the checkraise on the turn is a spew. Whenever a calling station raises me on a flop like that, my first instinct is that he hit two pair, Ace-Small. I think a call-down is ok, but the one thing you need to keep in mind when you make a play like a check-raise is what do you intend to accomplish by making that play?

Normally, in a heads-up situation, you are using the check/raise to suck an extra bet out of a beaten player when you have a very strong hand. But since a passive player is raising you on the flop and all you have is top pair, there's really no need to suck an extra bet out of him even if you are ahead. I doubt he's savvy enough for a free card play on the off chance he's on a straight draw, so I think the raise indicates a made hand. I check and call down or possibly check/fold.