Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Try and check-raise river?

UTG seems to be a good player. Still early in my time at the table though.

Would this river be a good spot to check-raise? Or should I just bet out?

Any comments on other streets would be appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???
Old 09-23-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Try and check-raise river?

If he limped UTG I'd be thinking he had AQ-AT off suit most likely. Depends what you think he thinks of you, if anything.

He knows you've just been calling and the flush draw was most likely - if he was pretty aggressive I might try the CR but all in all would probably just bet out - he might think the pot's too big to fold his Ace, and Button should call one too.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:29 AM

I think betting out is the best play. What would he think you were calling with on the flop and turn. If he has an Ace he might check behind you. If he had the Jack he will check behind you. If he has a good ace or set he might raise you and you can get the extra bet that way. Also on the small chance he has an Ax of spades you save the bet that you might have lost when he 3-bet your c/r.

Basically, the chance he will check behind, 3-bet your c/r, or fold to your check raise makes betting out the better decision. Either way you should always gain at least a BB or lose at most two BB the small time you are beaten.

beside limping in with a suited Ace of spades the only limp that could frequently induce a bet is 77.

Sorry I needed to edit. I forgot to acknowledge that the botton was still live. It was posted before me but the overcall and the chance that the botton has a higher flush makes up for it. It also seems to likly the botton would check behind the UTG as well.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:56 AM

UTG has TPGK I assume. Think you have to bet, then he has to call you. There's a good chance it's checked through if you don't bet, and if you hits your c/r they migh fold. Bet!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:57 AM

Honestly, the river is probably too read dependent to give a solid answer on. I generally lean towards betting out here.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:10 AM

Bizzet. Call a raise.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:32 AM

I bet out in these situations against all but the most aggressive opponents. (I bet out most of the time against them as well.)

I would be disgusted with myself if the river got checked through.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:27 AM

*grunch*
Risk it getting checked through, I think the villan knows either your or button are on flush draw(or it will scare him anyhow).

I bet out, See if villan raises and see what button does.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:35 AM

I definately bet out and hope he raises!

River CRs seem to only work against opponents who overplay their hands or are the super aggro type. Against the super aggro type, he may cap when you 3 bet if you bet out first.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:02 AM

If your're not pretty sure UTG will bet again, then bet out yourself. If he has a hand, he'll usually call to make sure your're not bluffing. Button likely won't bet unless he made a flush.