Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 04:43 PM

Default I got lucky and I feel bad

Here's a hand where I was almost 100% certain I was drawing to two outs, but I used SSH's advice of not folding decent hands in large pots. Granted, I got way lucky to win this hand, but was I wrong to decide I'd call him down all the way once he bet the turn?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: (10.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

If you think I was wrong to decide to see this hand to the end, please let me know.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: I got lucky and I feel bad

Looks fine to me. Granted you may well have sucked out on his AA or KK but this could be AT or AKs or JJ or JT or who knows what if he's loose plus the pot's definitely big enough to call down from the turn on even if you hadn't hit the Queen.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:50 PM

What do you know about UTG+1? I don't see any problem with the way you played this.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:51 PM

This is played fine. Villain could easily have an aggressively-played AT, or a smaller pocket pair where he was convinced you had AK.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:51 PM

Any reads on villain?

With a strong overpair, the call down route after the flop action isn't terrible, although the turn wasn't a friendly card (since JJ now beats you).
Old 09-20-2005, 04:52 PM

Would have been good to have some read on him. Is he aggressive, passive?

Based on his betting, when faced with his turn bet you are almost certainly beat, and don't have the odds to call his turn bet hoping to hit the queen. So you only stay in if you believe he is bluffing or is a maniac (who always bluffs, I suppose).
Old 09-20-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is played fine. Villain could easily have an aggressively-played AT, or a smaller pocket pair where he was convinced you had AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does villain raise, and then call the 3bet and cap preflop with either of those hands, though? I think hero's only chance is if villain is bluffing or stupid. We needed a read on him here.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on his betting, when faced with his turn bet you are almost certainly beat, and don't have the odds to call his turn bet hoping to hit the queen. So you only stay in if you believe he is bluffing or is a maniac (who always bluffs, I suppose).

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold QQ here?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:59 PM

Folding this hand at any time is wrong. You played it fine.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does villain raise, and then call the 3bet and cap preflop with either of those hands, though?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, I see it all the time. Calling the cap doesn't surprise me either (villain didn't cap -- button did).

[ QUOTE ]
I think hero's only chance is if villain is bluffing or stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see this all the time too. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
We needed a read on him here.

[/ QUOTE ]
...and now we'll have one.