Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Evacuees being turned away from Houston\'s Astrodome

[ QUOTE ]
Who should be leading this effort? Probably the governor, right? But we have the FEMA people, director of homeland security, the mayor, the president, etc. making statements. Presumably they are all making decisions. Or not making decisions, which actually seems to be the case. Who do you think should take over?

[/ QUOTE ]

The state and the feds should be working in conjuction. State and local authorities supposedly gameplan for things like this. They pay universities millions to do studies, crunch numbers, do analysis, gameplan. Even my simple idea of placing National Guardsmen in NO before Katrina hit would solve many issues. I'm just Joe Six Pack and I was paid nothing but it just seems logical to me. We are talking about a city of hundreds of thousands that could become paralyzed should the levee system break. Let's show some leadership and have boots on the ground should the worst case scenario happen.

I've seen no leadership from the Mayor, the Governor, FEMA or Bush. Also, Bush is a fool for visiting the destruction zone tomorrow. That's just going to piss people off more. We don't need images of that clown hugging a black child tomorrow (btw, I'm black, FWIW). Stay in Washington and work on the problem and the solutions that are needed for the months ahead. In fact, if I was a NO citizen and I ran into Bush I'd ask him one question: Why did you slash the NO Corp of Engineers budget by 20% to $71M when we've been asking Washington for assistance for years to shore up our levee system? We spend $1B a day in Iraq but can't appropriate funds to protect American citizens and infrastructure.

Sorry to rant, and I know this is the wrong forum, but some of you need to take a step back because much of this could have been avoided with proper leadership from top to bottom.

Greg H.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who should be leading this effort? Probably the governor, right? But we have the FEMA people, director of homeland security, the mayor, the president, etc. making statements. Presumably they are all making decisions. Or not making decisions, which actually seems to be the case. Who do you think should take over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've worked emergencies (7 forest fires and 1 oil spill). There is protocol. First responder is in charge... until someone comes along with higher status. So, yeah, right now it's the President. He's in charge and if you're mad about what's goiing on, it's our fuckhead president who's at fault.

They just keep saying they can't navigate because the phones are down and everything is in water. Well, people have been living in swamps and canals for thousands of years. Get a [censored] boat and figure it out.
And the phones? Hello??? short wave? CB? what the [censored] is going on?

Sorry this is so emotional. I'm mad as hell.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've worked emergencies (7 forest fires and 1 oil spill). There is protocol. First responder is in charge... until someone comes along with higher status. So, yeah, right now it's the President. He's in charge and if you're mad about what's goiing on, it's our fuckhead president who's at fault.

They just keep saying they can't navigate because the phones are down and everything is in water. Well, people have been living in swamps and canals for thousands of years. Get a [censored] boat and figure it out.
And the phones? Hello??? short wave? CB? what the [censored] is going on?

Sorry this is so emotional. I'm mad as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole thing has been cluster [censored] from top to bottom. I don't even have the energy to outline the numerous obvious failures, let alone think about the gross negligence.

Put me in [censored] charge. I've studied the [censored] aerial photos. I'll have one end of that [censored] airstrip filled with off-loading C4's and the other with copters and boats making deliveries and moving people in a heartbeat.

These fucktards can't even drop MRE's for these people.

This is sad and I'm ashamed
Old 09-02-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the free market was supposed to save New Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the Ownership Society - If you don't own a car, you're [censored].
Old 09-02-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is going on here. CNN just reported from the Astrodome that Houston police, on orders from the fire marshall, is not allowing anymore survivors in. The evacuees are distraught. I would snap if after the 7 hour drive I was told not to get off the bus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Houston is not in the disaster area. So are you saying we can just drive 7 hours outside the disaster area and impose ourselves on any place that we want?

You seem to presume that there are no other shelters.

You seem to presume that we can just ignore fire regualtions and other safety concerns.

You are just digging for an emotional response. But outside the disaster area, tossing out all input from safety officials is not the right thing to do, and limiting access to the Astrodome is a reasonable thing to do.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 AM

The governor of Louisiana and the mayor of NO screwed up big time in the leadup and aftermath of the hurricane, and now it is left to the Feds to solve all problems.

FEMA will do the job. It is sick to blame federal officials when local officials screw up. But it is typical of the politically motivated activists.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:24 AM

I've noticed that people are VERY quick to blame. The longer they stay in the disaster area, the more irrational their complaints are.

One guy shouted at a journalist "Why don't they turn the damn pumps back on!?!" Hmm, broken levee? Lack of electricity?
People are always raving about why there are no police or FEMA to help them. Maybe there are too many victims for them to handle? People are carjacking the ambulances.
People complaining about the dead bodies not being taken care of by the police. Maybe the police have more important things to do?
People on the forums are wondering why they don't take the abandoned school buses and get the refugees out. What about the flooded streets? Lack of gasoline? Stolen buses?

Gas is probably the biggest issue. You can't have the refugees follow a national guard soldier out of the city in a big congo line. They need gas to power their bullet hole ridden rescue vehicles.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't have the refugees follow a national guard soldier out of the city in a big congo line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y not?

Old 09-02-2005, 06:45 AM

I cant beleive some of the stuff thats we are hearing about in NO it just shows we are a couple of days away from becoming animals when disaster strikes, reports of murders and rapes at the sports field murders at the convention centre and then no food or water I cant beleive its happening in the US.

This Blog may be of interest.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this whole situation is a huge clusterfuck.

[/ QUOTE ]