Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Impossible hand.

How do you play this? Specifically, what do you do on the turn?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">
TAG raises</font>, CO calls, LAG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, TAG calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333"> LAG caps</font>, Hero calls, TAG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, TAG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">LAG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, TAG folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">LAG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (13 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG raises</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.

River: (17 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG raises</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Impossible hand.

LAG is trying to get real tricky here, and I am not sure what he has. I might just call the flop to try to hit my set, and give up otherwise, but your line seems like it has merits too. On the turn you are getting about 8:1, but your Q outs may not be good. You probably have around 5 outs, which is barely enough, but it easily could get capped behind you. I think the fold is fine.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:34 PM

uhh folding to the turn 2 bets cold isn't criminal, if you have no reads on the CO you have to guess you're losing to a K or A. It'll be 4BB minimum to get to the river with CO and LAG raising it up.

Are you telling up the CO and LAG were betting Q hi or 8s or underpairs? CO is stop and going his ass on TT? I doubt it.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:34 PM

I can't see anything but a fold.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 PM

I typically call the flop too, but the LAG gave me a chance to scare the TAG a bit.

He told me after the hand that he folded an A.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:05 PM

I don't like the flop c/r. I don't think you're getting any hand to fold that you want to fold.

The turn I like, because you're going to lose the pot UI almost always, will sometimes lose even if you set up, and will sometimes split even if you hit the straight.

EDIT: just read the responses, I really don't think you should expect an A to fold too often here, a K may get out of the way, but anyone calling all those bets piecemeal on the flop will be inclined to call two on the flop. Maybe a turn c/r is better for trying to fold out a K? I dunno, I still would rather call the flop and c/f the turn UI.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the flop c/r. I don't think you're getting any hand to fold that you want to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. He got an A to fold, and will often get an A or K to fold. LAG is playing really weird, so we may have the best hand. I can see why he did it, but I am not sure if I do it. I probably just take the easy route and call, and fold the turn UI. Raising the flop definetly has merits though.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I typically call the flop too, but the LAG gave me a chance to scare the TAG a bit.

He told me after the hand that he folded an A.

[/ QUOTE ]

does everyone agree that his flop check sucks??
Old 12-12-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't true. He got an A to fold, and will often get an A or K to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
It wasn't true this time. K maybe, probably more often than not, but I really, really don't expect even TAGs at 3/6 to lay down something like AT, A9 here.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't true. He got an A to fold, and will often get an A or K to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
It wasn't true this time. K maybe, probably more often than not, but I really, really don't expect even TAGs at 3/6 to lay down something like AT, A9 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot will. He got 3-bet, and capped preflop. Although LAG is looking like a retard, he still must be scared. He is now paying 2 bets, on what will surely be an expensive showdown. I think a lot of people fold their AT or A9, expecting they are dominated or drawing virtually dead.