Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Turned a Set: NL $600

Villian in this hand has been playing fairly LAG. Cold calling with a lot of weird hands before the flop, and he just loves to check/raise.

My image should be somewhere between LAG and TAG. I've been taking down a lot of pots on the flop/turn without having to show down my hands. I've been raising a ton PF, but the hands that I've shown down have been quality.

On to the action:

Hero ($800)
Villian BB ($750)

Hero opens to $25 UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB Calls.

Flop (~$53): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian checks. Hero checks.

Turn(~$53): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian checks. <font color="red">Hero bets $45. Villian Raises to $150</font>. Hero calls $105.

River(~$353): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Villian bets $350</font>. Hero?

I almost always bet this flop, but like I said, Villian was a big check/raiser, and I decided not to, this time.

Anybody do anything different on the turn?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Turned a Set: NL $600

Tough spot. You say villain is LAG; would you expect him to bet the flush draw on the flop?

I think you might have to call because your hand is so well disguised, but he's definitely repping the flush.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:03 PM

I like the way you played it and I would call the river, there are so many worse hand he can c/r semi-bluff/value raise the turn with and follow through on the river that you beat. Your play looks a lot like AQ or a scared A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]X, I would expect to win most of the time here, but don't see any value in raising the river.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 PM

bet the flop call the river
Old 11-30-2005, 07:28 PM

If you think youre hand is good (and based on your post, I do believe you have the winner), I would raise all in. Its only another $225 to him with a huge pot. I think he'll make a crying call with alot of hands.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:51 PM

If villain isn't a rock, I'm moving all-in here. Chances are you have the best hand if he had a flush how would he bet?

I would overbet or bet for value, I don't think he wants a call.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Results

I basically came to the same conclusion that iceman/maulik did.

I figured that there are a lot of hands that he could be semi-bluffing with that he would have to call a river all-in. Specifically, I put him on a pair with the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or some SFdraw. I did not think he would push so hard with a made flush.

I pushed the river, he called with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. And I felt like a donk.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Every single time, without exception, against a guy who loves to check/raise?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:47 PM

hindsight is always 20 20, but it looks like he was most likely going for the check raise on the flop. he disguised his hand very well with the check raise of the nut flush on the turn though. its always tough to play against lags when you have a great hand. i'm not sure you did much wrong except not betting the flop. and even that is debatable. was your intention on the turn to bet and let him check raise? if so why not reraise on the turn instead of calling?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:51 AM

i would have raised allin on the river too.