Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: tells

haha, you said what everyone was thinking, but it was still as funny as hell!

you made me choke on my pizza i was laughing so hard

POTD!!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:29 AM

of my freind:

he always taps his cards as if to say 'what should i do here, i have a borderline call/fold hand' when he does have a borderline call/fold hand, but this is at a game, where winning isn't very important, so he hasn't got shades and a visor etc.

i think this is for most people, when they have a monster, and want the call, they are very animated. the same freind, who's usually cool as a polar bears nose, was noticed tapping his finger on his arm by me. i notice myself doing this a lot.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:50 PM

In HOH, he says that the best tell is the way people handle
there chips and their hands. Any comments?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a guy reaches into his pants in the middle of hand, he's probably holding the nuts. Fold your hand and leave the table immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL niiiice one.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Does Harrington elaborate on what he means by handling their chips. One of the most important things I've learned from Caro is to watch the players when the flop comes out. You can tell right away if they've hit or not. If they look at their chips right away, you know they've got something they like and you can adjust accordingly. I know that when people grab a stack they're preparing to call a bet, which can mean a draw, you've got to bet really big if you want to get them out to prevent them from outdrawing you. The only real pre-flop tell I've used is when people look at their cards right away and start looking at the people left to act...they're gonna bet. You can also tell, preflop, when someone looks at their hand if they're gonna lay it down. I guess another tell is, sometimes, when you bluff on the turn and the person thinks a long time before calling, don't try to bluff on the river, they'll probably call you. They tend to feel pot-commited and it's hard to bluff them.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:53 PM

RE: Mike Caro, Great Poker player, lousy author, only basic stuff in his book, good post Rbear, just about right on
Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 PM

Many of these are mentioned by Caro, but they should be mentioned again to those who haven't heard them.

1) This is more general, but I'll include it anyways: When players say anything, you first should figure out if they are doing strong means weak (and weak means strong), or if they are doing strong means strong (and weak means weak). Once you figure that out, you can likely make an educated decision about how to act. However, if the player is an actor who is aware of the tells they themselves and others give off, you have to step your reasoning up a level in order to figure out what their tell *really* means. If that gets too complicated, you can use game theory to make a decision, or just play good poker and ignore the tell entirely (which is often the best plan).

2) When (usually new) players have shaky hands, it usually means they hit huge. I used to have shaky hands when I got the monsters, but ive become more aware of it and I usually can successfully suppress it. Despite that, if I river the nut full house with straights and flushes on the table, I still get a bit shaky.

But I'll warn you, there is a huge exception for this one. I'll explain it with an example: I just sat down at a local 5-10 full table. Things are going as normal -> a mix of players, but overall fairly loose. There was one guy, who seemed to have gotten the big blind special, and he was fairly shaky about it. I wasn't in the pot, so I just noted it. A few minutes later, he was the preflop raiser and once again, fairly shaky. But soon after, something didnt make sense. He was in the the SB, and became randomly shaky on his way to making a fold. As it turns out, whenever that guy is in a hand, he is shaky. He's either very nervous, or just has a medical condition. Thus, the shakyness is disregarded as a source of good information.

3) When players look around randomly away from the table/action or otherwise try to look disinterested, they generally are trying to encourage callers.

4) When talking to another player, if his speech is easy and free-going he likely has a good hand. If he tries to talk but the talk comes out forced, muddled, or non-sensical, its likely that he is bluffing.

5) As previously mentioned, the player looking at his chips likely just improved. I havent come across this one very often though, but maybe I'm not watching well enough.

6) When a player looks at your chips, he's generally sizing you up for a raise or reraise to see if he can put you all in.

7) Some players are the type to sometimes call, check, or bet blind. The only reason they are doing this is because they are trying to set weak players up for traps (and on the other side of things, trying to get tags to fold to their "obvious" tricks). When players do this, you should immediately consider them an actor, and as a result, don't give too much credit to the tells that they "give" off.
As an example, I know a guy who frequently uses checking blind to induce bluffs, since his character isn't that of an intimidating poker player.

8) Instantaneos bets/raises by players who seem excited usually means huge hands.

9) If a player suddenly gets really involved in the hand, they likely hit something big.

10) Instantaneos checks when checked to in larger multiway pots often means a weak hand. Usually when players slowplay they pause slightly to think about their chances before doing so.

11) When a player reaches or holds enough chips to call a bet (from a person who previously raised or is generally aggro), they usually are actually getting ready to call.

12) As it relates to table image, the person with the neatly stacked chips (especially if all the markings on the side line up, that's huge), is usually fairly tight. Watch them for a few orbits (you can use your stack to count how many hands they limp in or raise with). The neat chip stacking is a fairly good tell.

13) I don't know if these needs to be mentioned, but if a player exhibits signs of being drunk, you can expect their play to be much looser and irrational.

14) If a player is constantly checking his hole cards without any new things coming down, his hand is likely pretty good. "I can't believe my eyes!" etc
Old 09-02-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, I'm a heavy breather when I have a strong hand--but don't use that against me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also a heavy breather when I'm holding the nuts, but keep your hand out of the muck if I splash the pot.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM

As for you point # 5,when I've noticed it, it is usually very quick. Tells aren't the most important thing in poker, because everyone is aware of them. Betting patterns are more important. Many players, for example, will bet smaller when they want action on a hand, say they have aces or kings pre-flop, some will make a minimum raise, while, when they hold a hand that they really don't want action with, like a pair of tens and they're afraid of overcards, they'll make a really large pre-flop raise. Why? They're afraid to play post-flop. They don't know how. However, the best advice I got from Caro is, to watch the players as the flop comes out. Do this before you ever look at the flop. If you see his eyes very quickly look to his stack, then anywhere else, either back to the flop, to other players, whatever, it means he connected. Then, it's back to betting patterns.
Another I've noticed, if you put a guy to a decision and he keeps looking at his cards, it means he's weak and will probably fold. If you're holding a monster unbeatable hand, it can pay-off to sucker him in to calling. Follow Caro on this, make a movement, caugh, do something to make him want to call you.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 AM

Here's something that I have observed. I've never seen it mentioned, I guess because it is not "politically correct"

A person over 60 will rarely check-raise. A check for someone in this age group usually always means a poor hand. I think this is because check-raising wasn't concerned "sporting" or something years ago when they learned how to play.

No I don't ask for a birth certificate and, of course ,a very solid player of any age will check-raise.