Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 06:15 AM

Default How do you play a table full of nut peddlers?

I posted this under another category, and basically got no responses.

I find tables are tightening up a lot (still playing No limit) and sometimes you have five or six guys at the same table who are all young guys trying to make a living at it. Basically they stick to pocket pairs, AK, AQ (maybe) and some play suited connectors in certain situations (mainly in lp with a lot of callers).

When you get a table like this, under the best of circumstances the only way you make money is if you get luck and have pocket Aces vs someone else's pocket Kings, set vs overpair, or basically nuts vs second nuts.

So basically, there's a lot of folding going on.

So logically, the idea might be to raise any two cards and just keep stealing the blinds or raise and get one caller and steal the pot on the flop.

Unfortunately, most of these nut peddlers will not put up with this for too long. If they are catching cards, they will end up smoothcalling you and trapping you, or if they aren't at some point they will often call you, check the flop and then raise your bet and if you have nothing you really have no play.

These checkraises cost you a lot of chips, and you need to bluff successfully about three times just to break even on one time when you lose to a checkraise.

Any advanced ideas with dealing with these tight players other than to not play with them? This is at 10 max ring game.

Thanks,

David
Old 06-09-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: How do you play a table full of nut peddlers?

[ QUOTE ]
How do you play a table full of nut peddlers?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't
Old 06-09-2005, 06:26 AM

Any advanced ideas with dealing with these tight players other than to NOT play with them?

Did you read my whole post or just the title?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:37 AM

wait, are they checkraising with the good? If so, why are you calling without something better than the goods?

Either way, without tremendous hand reading skills, your expectation in this game seems to be somewhat low...

peace

john nickle
Old 06-09-2005, 06:45 AM

Just the title man, just the title...
Old 06-09-2005, 06:57 AM

I think sometimes they're checkraising me with nothing. I am pretty sure when they checkraise me either they have nothing or they have a decent hand, say maybe like pocket tens on A67 board, but not a huge hand.

Generally, on huge hands they smoothcall me and let me hang myself. But going back to the A67 board, they might checkraise me with AK, so just going all in isn't necessarily viable. Plus, the checkraise generally commits them if they have any kind of hand or draw.

To answer your question, I do not call with nothing of course, I throw my hand away. But I still lose my preflop raise which tends to be 5 BB's plus my flop bet which is usually 10-15 BB's. So if I take the pot down I win 5 BB's, if I lose I lose 15 BB's or more.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:18 AM

Leave and find a better table.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:29 AM

So they are tight, aggressive, good at reading patterns, and can bluff when needed.

Sounds like your the fish.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you play a table full of nut peddlers?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you don't, or as you said steal often, then when they wise up and try to trap you change gears and tighten up, if play goes back to tight then loosen up again.

Or you could take Doyle Brunson's advice from SS and put them all in when they wise up and call you with border line hands, and do this till they are too scared to play with you becuase if they do it will be for all their money.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:03 AM

[/ QUOTE ]
Or you could take Doyle Brunson's advice from SS and put them all in when they wise up and call you with border line hands, and do this till they are too scared to play with you becuase if they do it will be for all their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't work with 100xBigBlinds stacks.
You need to play way deeper.