Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 12:41 AM

Default What do you think of this...?

Here's a hand from tonight that I'm not sure of. Given the conditions, I'd like to think I played it decently, but I'm honestly not sure.

Reads: The O.R. seemed decent. He was willing to try stealing the blinds, but he was also willing to give up on a steal when he missed and got caught.

CO seemed pretty tight, but was willing to raise/re-raise PF with strong holdings. I hadn't really noticed anything out of the ordinary, but I really wasn't paying as much attention to the whole session as I should have. I didn't give his hand that much credit since he merely cold-called the open raise.

Button is loose and awful. He'll call with anything, and has a fondness for anything suited, and I do mean anything. He'll likely bet the flop if checked to; will bet with anything or nothing at all when trying to steal the flop. He knows enough to bet and raise strong draws, but doesn't seem to have much use for the "fold" button.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 9 BB

On the flop, I really hated the idea of folding. Getting 11:1 and the bet coming from someone who'll bet with anything means I may still have the best hand. Given that that no one else - including the PFR - bet, I was pretty confident it was a busted steal attempt. Given all of this, I was continuing on. I'm not sure if the flop C/R is the best move, but I didn't (and don't) see any better alternatives given the way everything fell.

Between the overcards that might have been good and the backdoor flush draw, I wanted to try and improve my position to win a decent sized pot. I thought I might have been able to get something like KQ or QJ or even big A's to fold, effectively cleaning up a few outs.

On the turn, it's now HU. I picked up the FD to go along with my overcards. In hindsight, I think I would have been better off checking; while I don't necessarily mind it getting raised, I think I'm better off avoiding it if possible. Also, the button just won't fold, even when faced with a lot of aggression (this goes back to a previous hand I witnessed).

On the river, I basically concede the pot, which I now think was stupid. I've come this far, and I suspect I should have just taken another shot, but again, I'm just not sure I could have gotten him to fold; I suspect it would have been better to make the play than basically give-up.

The results are irrelevent, but I can post them later on if there's any interest.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Edit: Had J's on the brain and put "folding out KJ..." instead of KQ.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: What do you think of this...?

I dont get the flop check-raise.

You've got 2 overcards, worth 6 outs, 1.5 for a backdoor, giving you 7.5 outs, discounting a few because tainted etc, I think a call would be much better.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:48 AM

I'm not check-raising 2 overcards and a weak BD flush draw into 4 opponents (including the PFR) on the flop. I think this is misplaced aggression and chip spewing. We can find better situations to get our money in.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:58 AM

Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:04 AM

Yea, kinda what I figured. I have a tendency to give up on flops too easily; I knew I wanted to continue with this one, and given the complete lack of anything shown by anyone else (including the PFR), I thought the C/R was the best play given the way everything fell into place. Anyway, thanks guys.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:15 AM

I agree with the other posters: bad flop c/r

[ QUOTE ]
On the river, I basically concede the pot, which I now think was stupid. I've come this far, and I suspect I should have just taken another shot, but again, I'm just not sure I could have gotten him to fold; I suspect it would have been better to make the play than basically give-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you should bet this one. There are 9BB in the pot. If you are getting yourself into this mess with nothing, at least give yourself a chance to pick up the pot.