Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 06:00 PM

Default I consistently butcher drawing hands..

I haven't been playing long, but I feel like my game is really starting to improve. I think my decision making, hand reading and ability to think a hand through are starting to improve. I find myself making more plays that are read based; I'm more willing to release hands that aren't worth chasing with the knowledge that another opportunity is just around the corner.

With all that said, I still screw up draws. And I know it. I'm not necessarily talking about things like OESD's or flush draws, though I suspect I'm too passive with them unless I'm in good position to trap the field and whatnot. My problem is I'm becoming entirely too fit-or-fold.

I think the crux of the matter is unless I can accurately determine what I'm drawing to, I don't want to be in the hand. This happens most often in hands that I raise PF and I'm reraised.

For example, say I raise ATs [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG and an unknown MP 3-bets. The blinds fold and it's HU.

7.5 SB on a flop of 258r with no hearts. My inclination is to check and fold because I likely have 3 outs at best. The A outs are of dubious value unless I'm against a PP; the Ts are only valuable if I'm against AK or AQ or someone getting aggressive with a smaller PP. I think folding is correct, but I'm not sure. Even if I have a backdoor flush, I'm still inclined to fold because I don't think the odds make it a justifiable chase. But, I'm not sure this thinking is correct, and I have to wonder how many pots I cost myself by playing this way. More importantly, I wonder how many times this play is leading to someone taking a shot at me. I've caught it a few times and I know it's going to get worse as I move up.

Something else I know I screw up: I think I need to be raising more with weak draws to try and drive out the people behind me, and to keep my play a little less transparent.

As an example, say I limp in MP1 with QJs [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] after three limpers and there are two or three more behind me. The SB completes and the BB checks.

8sb and the flop comes K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Now, suppose that UTG+2 bets. Given the amount of people in the hand, it's doubtful I'll win if I spike a Q or a J and no one with a K is folding, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off raising to force the people who have yet to act and those who checked to call two cold. Maybe this play would be better served if I'm in later position and can really buy a free card; I suspect with a board like this, it won't happen often enough to be worthwhile.

I think this post is long enough as it is, so I'll just leave it at this. I know there will be a few responses that say to read/re-read SSH and I'm re-reading it now. I think I'm now in a position to better assimiliate the bulk of the post-flop play. But, I think this may be a fairly common problem, and hopefully it'll help out some other people as well.

Thanks,
Steve