Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Best poker book that has nothing to do with strategy

I am a complete sucker for the WPT, WSOP, and whatever junk I can watch on TV as far as poker goes. I have read plenty of 2+2 books, done my share of highlighting and studying. Now I am looking for a poker book to relax with. I have read "Poker Nation" and found it mildly enterntaining, and started reading "Big Deal". Does anyone know of any other poker books that are more a fun read? One I can read on the train to work? Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Best poker book that has nothing to do with strategy

[ QUOTE ]
I am a complete sucker for the WPT, WSOP, and whatever junk I can watch on TV as far as poker goes. I have read plenty of 2+2 books, done my share of highlighting and studying. Now I am looking for a poker book to relax with. I have read "Poker Nation" and found it mildly enterntaining, and started reading "Big Deal". Does anyone know of any other poker books that are more a fun read? One I can read on the train to work? Any input is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker Wisdom of a Champion - Doyle Brunson

A classic. http://www.pokersavvy.com/article/doylewisdom.html

Easy to read and extremely enjoyable. Get it.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:00 PM

Most poker books are written by poker players who fancy themselves as writers - they suck.

"Big Deal" and "The Biggest Game in Town" were written by writers who fancy themselves as poker players - they are a cut above the rest IMHO.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:14 PM

The Biggest Game In Town
Old 05-26-2005, 05:29 PM

you may want to check out zen and the art of poker by larry phillips. its not a good technical book or anything, and phillips does believe in a couple things like luck and hot streaks that you can pretty much throw away as BS when he starts talking seriously about them, but its just a pretty amusing read. its mostly about self-control and patience at the table and quotes from some older texts and people (like the art of war and confucious). its a pretty relaxing read and an all and all good book to keep around and read out of whenever you get pissed/go on tilt/lose to a really bad beat, etc etc. its really calming and can center you when such things occurr.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Positively Fifth Street

I haven't read it yet, but a lot of people have recommended Positively Fifth Street to me. It's about playing in the WSOP and should be right up your alley. It is nonfiction, but supposedly reads like a novel.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Biggest Game In Town

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one too! I'm actually rereading it now. Sits right next to the crapper with TP as a bookmark. (Clean TP of course!)
Old 05-26-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Positively Fifth Street

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read it yet, but a lot of people have recommended Positively Fifth Street to me. It's about playing in the WSOP and should be right up your alley. It is nonfiction, but supposedly reads like a novel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this one and it wasn't too bad. More of a mystery/detective novel than a good poker type of a book. Kind of like solving a mystery while Scooby and Shaggy played Hold'em in the back of the Mystery Van. I'd recommend it though.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:42 PM

I think I have read all the books in this thread and there are many good suggestions. I have read about a third of the new Aces and Kings book and I am really enjoying it. You might also like some of the Michael Konik books, The man with the million dollar breasts etc.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Also, Amarillo Slim's In a World Full of Fat People is fantastic. I really loved that book. However, it focusses more on his proposition gambling than on poker. There is actually very little poker content in the book. But you would probably still enjoy it.