Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Playing the \'nuts\' in 6 max

6 max is still driving me nuts. I’m improving but need a few more lessons from the knowledgeable folk here.

The strategy I’m settling down with goes as follows:

You are playing aggressively, stealing blinds, playing your raises very assertively, picking off bluffs. Your raises usually pick up the blinds as other players fear to do battle with you, very much Doyle Brunson. You watch out for the loose players and cool down with them but mostly you’re giving your opponents as hard a time as possible and playing as tricky a game as possible.

As for hand selection, there is no time in 6 max to wait for ‘playable’ hands, if you’ve got the table on the run raise from the button with almost anything. I woudn’t call UTG with J3 but I would in a passive game with 89o.

This all sounds great stuff but it’s a hard act to pull off. Sometimes you get in the grove and everything runs to script. Othertimes it all ends in tears when you wander off into loose aggressive land.

Is there any other way of beating these games or any strategy adjustments you can recommend?

BTW 6 max NLHE is the only kind of poker that can make me tilt. Is there anybody who is immune to 6 max tilt. It would take a Zen master on valium.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Playing the \'nuts\' in 6 max

Sorry, but none of your post makes sense (and not just the "get in the grove" that I assume you ment to be groove).

1) You can raise, but "playing your raises assertively" is redundant.

2) In six-max you will be up against mostly "loose players," you can't "cool down with them."

3) There is ALWAYS time to wait for "playable hands" (in any game), but they are different hands in six-max than at a 10-player table.

4) You will not get the "table on the run" with your posted style.

5) What is "loose aggressive land?" (and) why would that be bad, do you suppose, at a short-handed table?

and finally

6) A Zen master does not need valium

Perhaps you should have tried less hard to impress us with what you think is the right way to play six-max, and just ask a few specific questions. Those we can answer.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 07:45 PM

6 max nlhe is cake. Ive been playing small stakes and the other day I flopped a set of sixes and managed to get all in against two overcards...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:07 PM

easily the most constructive post of the year, thanks for the lesson.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for hand selection, there is no time in 6 max to wait for ‘playable’ hands, if you’ve got the table on the run raise from the button with almost anything. I woudn’t call UTG with J3 but I would in a passive game with 89o.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, you should still be throwing away cheese like K9o, 98o, unless you're stealing with it.

Someone posted somewhere that "suited connectors are a leak in 6-max". I think that's pretty good advice.

I would advise never limping in unless the table is REAL passive. Fold or raise.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:47 PM

this post is from a player who also struggles with 6 max. but i think your looking too deep into what strategy to use and over looking the basics. U still must pick and choose your hands, but like someone else posted they aren't the same hands as 10 handed. all 6 max players are going to be aggressive and u must be too, but i think the most important ability in a 6 handed table is the ability to read the texture of your opponents hands, your getting more info than in a full game and need to use it to your advantage. The real successful 6 max players know their opponents and use every piece of info to their advantage. if your no getting the results u want u probably aren't reading your opponents well.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I woudn’t call UTG with J3 but I would in a passive game with 89o

[/ QUOTE ]

Awful man.

You need to tighten way up and be more selective with agression when you have position.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:00 PM

For example, I rarely see more than 29% of the flop at 6 max (not vpip).
Old 05-09-2005, 10:03 PM

Can I stake you for NL $1000?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6 max nlhe is cake. Ive been playing small stakes and the other day I flopped a set of sixes and managed to get all in against two overcards...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are ready for the $400 NL/PL 6 max games on Party.

See you at the tables! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]