Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 09:32 PM

Default At what point...

I'm sure this is beating a dead horse, but I'm curious: At what point (be it number of hands player, hours player, whatever) did you know you were a winning player?

I admit, this is definitely a mix of a rant/whine post. I'm going through yet another downswing, and I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth playing through. It seems everytime I start to be on the path of building a bankroll, I hit yet another downswing where I don't hit anything and just get outdrawn. Couple this with seemingly brief upswings, and it adds up to a lot of frustration.

I have ~30,000 hands in Poker Tracker and while I'm winning, it's so marginal that I don't want to put much faith in it. My winrate is a bit over 1BB/100 over a mix of .25/.50; .50/1.00; and 1/2 at Poker Stars. I've won at all of them, and I suspect the winrates are skewed because I dropped down levels after downswings. I've also played out of my bankroll, which further alters the winrate because I could never play through the downswings at 1/2 or .50/1.

I could post the stats, but I don't know that they'd really show anything. I'll definitely post them if it would help. I know I need to start posting hand histories, but I guess I just never get around to it and I don't want to re-hash a situation that has undoubedly come up plenty of times.

I've read a few books, but I really only skimmed through WLLH because I was naturally playing near that level. I've read SSH and I'm planning on re-reading it a few times.

I know I need to start really working on my game, and I guess it's time I started to put the effort in. For what it's worth, I was a "winning player" both before and after reading SSH (roughly 18k hands before reading; the rest post-SSH), but I don't want to read too much into that, because I doubt it really means anything.

If anyone can offer input, or just saying to suck it up and play, I'd appreciate it. More than anything, I suspect I just needed to vent my frustration.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-21-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: At what point...

I like 10k hands.

It's a nice round number, a power of ten, which happens to be the same number as the amount of fingers we would normally have.

20k seems a little more reliable though. (oddly enough, it's not twice as reliable, it's less than twice as reliable, but it's certainly more reliable).

30,000 hands... that's a lot. It COULD be a downswing, but you probably want to post hand histories, as you said.

I was very very LAG on the turn for my first 10k hands. I was winning maybe 1.25-1.5 bb/100. I tightened that up a bit and I am now 2.25-2.5. (PT tells me 3.5 over my last 10k hands, but I don't trust that number until it gets to 20k or 30k...).
Old 02-21-2005, 10:39 PM

1BB/100 is nothing when your winning .50 cents, but 1BB/100 on a 15/30 game is excellent money. What you need to do is play solid poker within your bankroll and every week save some money you can devote to your poker bankroll. Be it $50 or whatever. Your bankroll grows that 1BB/100 + put in $50 every week and move up in limits when you can. Patience is the key.
I'm playing .25/.50 and it sucks, even with 4 tables and a 1.2BB/100 (so far) the money isn't there. I'm playing 4 hours today and up $13. [censored] joke, but when the money builds up you can move up limits. Poker is all about patience.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:53 PM

It's certainly possible to be running less than your longterm expected winrate after 30,000 hands. A few good sessions can still have a remarkable effect on things.

That said, there's no reason to think that your play can't get better, so do the things you need to do in order to improve.

Self-evaluate. What are your strengths and weaknesses?