Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Limping with AK

Today I played in a live one-table satellite with stacks starting at 20 chips, blinds of 1&2, and blinds doubling every 15 min. Clearly there is more chance involved with this blind structure. Add the fact that only 1st place means anything and it seems that taking bigger than usual risks is necessary.

With about 30 chips and 6 players left, blinds of 2&4 soon to escalate, I limped in UTG with AKo, hoping somebody would go all in(this is the great risk I'm talking about). Instead, I got two callers with far inferior hands, flopped 992, and lost my stack after making a poor play.

Had I raised pre-flop I would have won a "whole six chips." So my question is, with low implied odds due to nobody having huge stacks, is it ever correct to limp as I did? Is it ever correct to limp with AK in a tournament period? Thoughts???
Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Limping with AK

Looks like the problem is that you misplayed postflop, not your preflop limp. I raise almost everytime with AK, but of course there are situations where limping can be correct. They're just pretty rare, IMO.

Btw, "just" 6 chips is 20% of your stack at the beginning of the hand. That's a nice portion and you should be glad to pick that up.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Limping with AK

with it being winner take all, and a quick blind structure, a limp utg with AK with plans on limp reraise is a good plan.