Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 08:32 PM

Default flipside to the common situation

suppose you have a 4 flush showing on 6th street against what you think is two pair.

1) suppose you really do have a flush

a) and your opponent is first to act and bets into you. Do you raise?

b) and your opponent is first to act and checks to you. Do you bet?

c) and you're first to act to you bet?

d) and you're the first to act, do you check?
if you check, are you checking and calling and then lead/or checkraise the river? or are you checkraising 6th?

2) suppose all you really have is a 4 flush with no pair or straight draw.

a) your opponent is first to act and bets into you. Do you call or raise?

b) you are first to act, do you check and call or bet into him? or do you even checkraise him?

obviously i think all of these are player dependent and dependent on how your image is working for you, but what would be your general default against an unknown or typical player?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: flipside to the common situation

on sixth street at 5-10 or less i raise every time if i have a flush. they will call a river bet anyway with two pair.if i act first i just bet unless i know he will bet with two pair if checked two which isnt often at those limits.

if i dont have the flush i usually just call if bet into and will bet if checked to me. mo reason to check here since it ruins any chance of a bluff. if my opponent is unbluffable then i might check.

Pat
Old 11-16-2004, 01:27 PM

These are good questions. At first they seemed like no-brainers, but now I'm curious. How do these sound?

NOTE: I primarily play 3/6, and occassionally play 5/10.

Made flush:
I'd raise with the flush if bet into if it was a hidden two-pair. If the guy had paired his door card, I'd be more hesitant, and would only raise if he was a nut job.

I'd bet if checked to or if I was first to act. Initially, I was thinking that checking wouldn't do much since my board is too scary to induce a bluff/bet from two pair. But now I'm thinking it's close since I would bet into a 4-flush w/ 2 pair against a lot of opponents. If I did check when first, I absolutely would check-raise. Who knows what'll happen on the river, and since I really like my hand now, why not get an extra bet in?

Still on a draw:
I'd raise 6th street if bet into, hoping to get a free showdown if I don't make the flush.

First to act, I'd lead on 6th, and then check the river unimproved. This sounds weak, but at my limits, I'm getting called on both streets by 2 pair...but I might not get bet into by 2 pair on the river. This way, I can usual pay 1 BB for the final 2 cards. Against tougher opponents, the check-raise sounds like a good plan.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:49 PM

If I have it, I bet or raise. If I don't, I'll tend to bet, especially if I think I can get the other guy to fold. If there's no chance that he'll fold, I'll take a free card if he's first and checks. If bet into (or raised), I call. No one is going to bet and then fold to a raise, are they?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
suppose you have a 4 flush showing on 6th street against what you think is two pair.

1) suppose you really do have a flush

a) and your opponent is first to act and bets into you. Do you raise?
<font color="red"> YES </font>

b) and your opponent is first to act and checks to you. Do you bet?
<font color="red">YES </font>

c) you're first to act do you bet?
<font color="red"> YES </font>

d) you're the first to act, do you check?
if you check, are you checking and calling and then lead/or checkraise the river? or are you checkraising 6th?

<font color="red"> If I do check Im check raising 6th. Ill almost never check here as it is very unlikely it will work </font>

2) suppose all you really have is a 4 flush with no pair or straight draw.

a) your opponent is first to act and bets into you. Do you call or raise?

<font color="red"> How big is the pot and how live are my suits ? </font>

b) you are first to act, do you check and call or bet into him? or do you even checkraise him? <font color="red"> same question I will oftentimes use game theory to semi bluff here </font>

obviously i think all of these are player dependent and dependent on how your image is working for you, but what would be your general default against an unknown or typical player?

[/ QUOTE ]