Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Feasibility of Space Elevator?

[ QUOTE ]
Carbon fiber is not "insanely strong", nor is it a "special material".

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. However, the space elevator won't be built out of carbon fiber. I assumed everyone knew it will be built out of nanotubes.

nanotubes
Old 09-22-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This will almost certainly not happen ever. Or anytime in the next century anyways.

The thing is, even if you could build an elevator that high, it is not like once you were in space you could just put on a space suit and start floating away or build spaceships with materials you got up there.

The reason that astronauts experience zero G has nothing to do with being in space of being 'so far' away from the earth. the reason is because they are essentially in a constant state of falling, but are moving so fast that they continually fall over the horizon and appear to be 'floating' above the earth. If they were to come to a complete stop, they would immediately plummet back to earth.

In other words, you don't just need to build a giant elevator, you also need to accelerate to a great speed once you get up there. And if you are just using the elevator to get materials into space, you need to figure out a way for astronauts to pick it up while flying past at thousands of miles per hour.

So there is really no point even if you could build it.

A better question would be, how long till we have a functioning mass driver for which to propel objects into space. That or some other device which allows us to get an object into space whereby the fuel is not a part of the payload.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

do some reaserch before making retarded claims buddy. The space elevator would actually be in geosynchronous Orbit w/ the earth.

Geo-synch-ron-ous o-r-b-i-t. sound it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does it get into geosynchronous orbit? You can't just build a long rope and it floats up into orbit. There's a lot more to this problem than you give credit for.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm aware of the strength of carbon-based composites. "Stronger than steel" and "insanely strong" have different connotations to me as a material scientist.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know anything about a company called Zoltek?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This will almost certainly not happen ever. Or anytime in the next century anyways.

The thing is, even if you could build an elevator that high, it is not like once you were in space you could just put on a space suit and start floating away or build spaceships with materials you got up there.

The reason that astronauts experience zero G has nothing to do with being in space of being 'so far' away from the earth. the reason is because they are essentially in a constant state of falling, but are moving so fast that they continually fall over the horizon and appear to be 'floating' above the earth. If they were to come to a complete stop, they would immediately plummet back to earth.

In other words, you don't just need to build a giant elevator, you also need to accelerate to a great speed once you get up there. And if you are just using the elevator to get materials into space, you need to figure out a way for astronauts to pick it up while flying past at thousands of miles per hour.

So there is really no point even if you could build it.

A better question would be, how long till we have a functioning mass driver for which to propel objects into space. That or some other device which allows us to get an object into space whereby the fuel is not a part of the payload.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

do some reaserch before making retarded claims buddy. The space elevator would actually be in geosynchronous Orbit w/ the earth.

Geo-synch-ron-ous o-r-b-i-t. sound it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does it get into geosynchronous orbit? You can't just build a long rope and it floats up into orbit. There's a lot more to this problem than you give credit for.

[/ QUOTE ]

goto google and do a search for space elevator. There is plenty of info about how we would build such a thing (and it is quite possible given a huge budget).
Old 09-22-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just figured this guy was another person who didn't understand that being in spce alone is not enough to float around at a constant point above the earth.

That and I guess I just didn't assume that the elevator he was suggesting was....

over 20,000 miles above the earth!!!!!!!

especially when the typical altitude of a shuttle flight is only about 1/100 of this.

Regards
Brad S
Old 09-22-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it is quite possible given a huge budget

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. NASA's budget for the next several years is all tied up in the CEV, much to my employment delight.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:38 PM

no
Old 09-22-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(and it is quite possible given a huge budget).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
goto google and do a search for space elevator. There is plenty of info about how we would build such a thing (and it is quite possible given a huge budget).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm convinced. It's on the Interweb afterall.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it is quite possible given a huge budget

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. NASA's budget for the next several years is all tied up in the CEV, much to my employment delight.

[/ QUOTE ]

ill bet that some private corporations that could profit from this would throw down. NASA has spent or plans to spend some money on this to my knowledge, although im sure not enough.