Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Default I need advice on XP licensing

I'll start by saying that I have no intention of pirating MS software.

I'm trying to configure a back up system because I'm concerned that if my computer or my wife's computer goes down with a H/W failure or whatever we are going to be screwed. We both use our systems a ton and rely on them for virtually everything you can imagine.

A few of the things we need and use are banking, bill-pay, ebay, corporate taxes, three home businesses and important shopping (like groceries) and other stuff. I make my living using my systems for programming and systems projects and she pretty much does too ... though to a lesser extent.

Bottom line is this: if the backup system is in use, one or possibly two or three other systems are dead.

So I have acquired an old PII 450Mhz to be a backup for us in case one of our primary systems goes down. Unfortunately the backup system is using Win2000 and I need to get it up to XP for a few different reasons.

Can I install my XP that was delivered and is currently running on a primary system without getting myself in trouble via automatic update or some other MS spyware?

Thank you for any ideas on this!
Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: I need advice on XP licensing

I think technically you're allowed to install it on 1 PC and 1 Laptop, but realistically they can't tell the difference between a PC and a Laptop. So you should be fine. If you're really concerned and want the straight dope, you could just call Microsoft rather than take my word for it.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:56 PM

You shouldnt get into any trouble or have any problems.. I bought a gateway PC about 2 years ago, it came with XP, I just recently built a new PC and used the gateway CD to install XP, I have done the updates on both, the XP veritfication, etc with no problems. You should be able to run the XP that you have on your other systems and on your back up.

I think gates and would rather you do that than pirate a copy and cd key off of the internet. Your better off using your good cdkey than a pirated one.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 PM

Realistically, it won't really matter if you use your own CD key or a pirate one.

Legally, you need to purchase another copy of XP to install on that backup computer.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:45 AM

I'd say to install it and activate it like normal, but don't bother trying to register it. If it won't activate normally because the CD key has been used too many times, simply call the number that they give you in the activation dialog box and give them the number on the screen. When they ask why you are activating again, tell them you formatted because of virus/spyware issues or whatever. If they ask if it's on a different machine, just tell them you swapped network cards or something. Tell them it has not been installed on any other machines. They will give you a 54 digit code to type in and everything will work just fine after that. And if you hurry, the foreign dude will even tell you merry Christmas before hanging up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (in my experience anyway...just activated today)