Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-04-2005, 07:12 PM

Default losing

Hello, I am have been frequenting this forum on and of for a while now, but decided to post. The last 30 or so hours in the last 3-4 days have been complete misery at the 2-4 tables. Ak missing. Over pairs being rivered. four flushes ruining my sets. bad players playing every hand and hitting. Bad players raising and I am having to fold to bluffs because I keep missing. I have been playing live and online (online 2-3 tables lost 200 that way and lost 340 live playing about 25 hours on that). I have lost over 500 dollars those 30 hours(online 2-3 tables lost 200 that way). I play fairly tight, and have been winning consistently for a while now. I am not saying I am an expert, but assuming I was an expert I would like to know if this kind of a thing happens often or rarely. I need a pep talk of some kind, or maybe i need help on my game. But first, I would like to know how big swings can be at 2-4. Everything has been going against me. I have been sitting at great tables as well and just have been so devastated emotionally from this. I was contemplating quitting even. I took breaks to let the rush against me fizzle but it just wouldn't stop. help me out guys, I dont want to quit! thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: losing

It happens. Read the psychology forum.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:24 PM

This post may be better suited here.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:39 PM

If you have been frequeinting this forum for any length of time you should know that this kind of post is not going to generate anything useful for you. Post hands post hands poast hands. Stop whining
Old 12-05-2005, 07:08 AM

I posted it here because it is in regards to 2-4 and low-limit variance in particular. I guess I was wrong to post it here. I didn't expect such a rude reply; I am not here to whine, and I having not gotten anything really useful. Should I post this exact question in the psychology area? Not here to argue, I just want to know what people's experiences are at 2-4.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:17 AM

We all experience this, at whatever level we play at - all of us.

When you repeated miss the flop with AK, repeatly play good poker.

When you get sucked out on, tell yourself that these are the players that make 2/4 so good. If you are a decent player and keep a level head, you will beat 2/4.

Ask yourself at the end of a session "Have I played good poker?", rather than "Have I won or lost $$?".
Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 AM

Sorry about your downswing. IT happens to everybody. Every thing you do goes wrong and you can not catch a break.

At some point you get SO fruesrated that you think the game is rigged as ever 50% VPIPer is winning.

I had a 225BB downswing in 3/6 a few months ago. One of the best things you can do is keep a daily record. When swings happen you can look back and sii YOU CAN WIN.

When I went though my last nightmare I stopped Hold'm fora week and learned Omaha8. At least I read some books and played "for fun".

The key is to relax, drop down and get the fun back into the game. Swings have the risk of changing your play and THAT is called tilt.

It'll come back.

I've been online for 6 years and have a 2.5BB/100 in about 20 table hours a week. I've had two 200BB swings in the past year but normally 1 every couple years .

Look at it this way, it's not like you have forgottin HOW to play. It's more of a time setback from when you will hit you next high point. You KNOW sooner or later you will win again.

If you look at the hands you are losing and you see bad luck, it'll chance. Always does.

I was told once when I had my 1st nighrmare, you can tell how good you are by how you lose. Bad players give up, good players endure.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:31 AM

Personally, if this were me, I would assume that it was me, and not varience.

Therefore, I'd be pouring over and analyzing my hand histories, replaying hands in Pokertracker's gametime window, and rereading sections (or all) of SSHE.

It might be due to varience, but it's not going to hurt to do the above, either.

As Webster also pointed out, try doing some other version of Poker, like Omaha (I have yet to try) or Stud. Or, just play on table of full ring or 6 max and really concentrate on your play and the other players. Think about what you are doing, try to avoid surfing the web, and don't put yourself on auto-pilot.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM

from the way you are talking your not as good as you think you are. Otherwise these swings wouldnt affect you mentally so much. A 200bb downswing is to be expected at any time. We have all heard much worse. Read inside the poker mind and continue studying. IF it really is affecting you this badly after you understand the game more then you should probably quite since it will be clear you cant handle the game swings mentally. good luck
Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 PM

You'll get more out of this if you had instead posted hands. I'd suggest posting one hand you felt lost on and one hand that was tricky that you think you played well.