Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Need Strategy to Beat Hyper-Aggressive Player

I'm an average amateur player and have been playing in the Amateur Poker League in my area for about a month now. I recently finished reading Dan Harrington's first volume on strategic play. Here's my problem. In the book Dan advocates a defense method against hyper-aggressive players which he calls "The Hammer"--that is, you make a big re-raise when you have a decent to good hand before the flop. Unfortunately for me (and other frustrated players at our local tourneys) there is a certain hyper-aggressive player (I also think he has OCD, because he has to touch everything at the table and arrange the chips in neat stacks before he can let the hand continue, but that's another issue) whose strategy is to go all-in almost every hand. Obviously, most players can't afford to call an all-in bet in the first round of a tournament except with AA, KK or maybe QQ. And even when someone does get frustrated and call with a slightly lesser hand (AK is a good example) he'll often draw out on them with a hand like J6. The problem is really this: no one can afford to call him except with a REALLY BIG hand and a REALLY BIG hand only comes about 1 in every 100 hands. But if no one calls, then he steals the blinds every... single... hand. I can't reraise him, because he's all-in. Do I just have to wait for that AA or should I be calling him down with 87 suited and other potential drawing hands like that?