Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Upping my preflop raise %

I have a question for you all. Why do the people in this forum recommend preflop raising so much more than is suggested in SSHE? Is this because you all just generally disagree with the book, or because the book is written more for live games and the additional raising fits better with online ones?

And, if the latter is true, can someone tell me >why< more preflop raising makes sense in online games?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question for you all. Why do the people in this forum recommend preflop raising so much more than is suggested in SSHE? Is this because you all just generally disagree with the book, or because the book is written more for live games and the additional raising fits better with online ones?

And, if the latter is true, can someone tell me >why< more preflop raising makes sense in online games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's either of those reasons. I think it's that SSHE doesn't suggest more raising because there are too many variables that it cant simplify into a chart for people who are just trying to learn to be winning players. I think it is trying to be as basic as possible with preflop play.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree on 87 and I think you're contradicting yourself at least a few times in that post.

[/ QUOTE ]
I say build that pot as in "get as much of their money in while they're willing to put it in", not "so that we can peel with a gutshot + BD flush omg I love calculating outs." I enjoy building a large pot with suited connectors. Big win when we connect, 1BB loss when we miss. Definitely my kind of trade off.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3 - open raise. connected to point #2. For just about all hands, except lower PP's and suited connectors, playing them should be a raise or fold decision, even while in EP

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you open-limp small PP's and suited connectors in middle to late position?

[/ QUOTE ]

unless I have spectacularly loose players to act behind me, I'd insta fold them both in MP. For LP, I'd try to steal with nearly all PP's, and maybe the bigger (98s, maybe 87s) suited connectors

eddited for grammer
Old 08-15-2005, 10:57 PM

SSHE doesn't really cover stealing, open raising, and isolating.

from what i know, following the SSHE PF chart should have you ending up with an ~8% PFR. if you factor in the above 3 things, you find yourself with a much higher PFR%.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it's a combination of reasons, really. First of all, it says right in SSH that the advice given in the book will not always be correct, and that as you develop as a player you will start to see exceptions to the generic rules laid out inside. SSH was written as a (superb) textbook for the advanced beginner through intermediate HE player; without trying to put words into the authors' mouths, it was never intended as a set-in-stone rulebook for the winning poker player. It's important to understand that when players on this board recommend raising in a situation that SSH does not (specifically), the reasoning behind that raise is the same that Mr.'s Miller, Malmuth, and Sklansky used to develop the book's broader examples.

I think that online poker vs. B&M poker also factors into it, because the online SS games are usually much tighter than live games played at the same limits. In the simplest possible terms, the tighter the game, the more often it is correct to raise preflop; all the examples you can think of where you raise behind multiple limpers with suited connectors or a medium pocket pair will not even out the times when you could be raising with total crap in an extremely tight game, confident of stealing the blinds more often than not.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:32 PM

I never played the .5/1 level, so I don't know if blind stealing applies, but a good way to up your PFR is to up your ASB%.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can I go about raising my PFR%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look for situations as part of your reasons to raise.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never played the .5/1 level, so I don't know if blind stealing applies, but a good way to up your PFR is to up your ASB%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing the partypoker .5/1.00 rooms, and blinds actually get stolen maybe once every 1000 hands. You rarely get the chance to try it, and when you do, they just call with whatever they've got.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:03 AM

Now that I think about it, my PFR's been rather anemic as well. After 28k-odd hands of staying strictly within SSHE's tight chart, I can say with some confidence that it yields a PFR around what the OP has (mine's at 7.19% but I've been loosening up lately and was as low as 6.5%).

While we're on the subject, I'm gonna sneak in a PFR quesiton real quick. I had KJs in the small blind today in a Stars .50/1 game. UTG limped, folded to me. Is this worth a value raise given that we'll be 3 or 2 handed, despite poor position? I only have 14 hands on UTG, and I haven't seen him show down anything unusual (worst I've seen was 97s in the CO which is certainly acceptable). I only had 20 hands on the BB as well, but he didn't give off any obvious flaws in that time either.