Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 12:58 AM

Default kk foldable pre-flop?

Recently a friend of mine whos been beating the high stakes regularly for about a year told me its VERY hard for him to fold KK pre-flop. He said he has to know the player is very tight or there is multi-way action.

Well past couple days I've had 7 kk v aa all-in pre for 100$ or more (.5/1 tables at pp).. they were all heads up and generally the betting pattern was I bet, they reraise small, I reraise big, they go all-in. Once they go all-in I'm pretty sure they have AA, but having no actual reads on the players I call. A couple of the situations were unavoidable I think though.

Anyways, just wondering what you guys think... what brought the conversation up between me and my friend was me folding in two similar situations actually, and after the past couple days it looks like they were good folds. But he insisted he would have been all-in so I've been trying his method. Is it possible the lower limits are just more weak/tight? Am I just unlucky?

Dommer
Old 06-04-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: kk foldable pre-flop?

depends how deep the stacks are....deep stacks, yes...short stacks, no
Old 06-04-2005, 01:30 PM

Well, the stacks were 100x bb, sometimes about 125x bb, should I be folding with those stack sizes?

Dommer
Old 06-04-2005, 01:45 PM

Easy. I never fold kings preflop. Then again, i'm not a high stakes player.

Harrington writes that kings used to be foldable, but as the games loosened up, especially on the internet, you can always play them, barring a very specific read.

Hope i didn't mess the quote up too bad, don't feel like looking it up right now.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:46 PM

It's possible to fold with 100bb stacks, but you normally shouldn't put yourself in that position (three-betting preflop without a read after you raised originally). Just flat call and play some poker.

I actually let a guy with KK fold correctly today. (He said he folded KK and I believe him.) I knew he was good and my table image was insanely tight, so I made a stupid move by three-betting (over-bet three-betting even). I had just had my worst 25-card run ever, and folded/checked 24 of my first 25 hands at a 6max table; an annoying place to get AA vs. KK.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:37 AM

If you under the gun against 9 opponents and you hold KK, you will be against AA aprox 4.3% of the time or 1 in 23 times.
If you "know" you are up against aces, you should check your pot odds before you call in an all in.
But since you cant "know" you are up against aces, guess at his possible holdings, calculate the probability of aces, then play accordingly.
Remember, KK will still win 18% of the time.

Matt
Old 06-05-2005, 12:47 AM

i have had this happen many times too. i now as a default whenever a preflop is 3 bet, even if i have aces i just call and see the flop. if it gets this far preflop u r heads up as u want to be, with a nice pot. see a flop and make your decisions from there, that way u can sometimes avoid getting your hand in bad or avoid a bad beat.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:06 PM

No!