Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Conservative group wants to boycott Ford

Here is the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051216/...e/ford_boycott

Basicaly they want to boycott Ford because Ford advertises in gay publications. I think this is way out there crazy.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Conservative group wants to boycott Ford

Wow the religious right is so out of control. I love it when these same people get mad at muslims for being "intolerant" and "dogmatic." Idiots.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:10 PM

I am rarely surpised by the levels to which these groups sink to object to those different than them.

Seems to me that these people are just using this Ford situation as a vehicle (no pun intended) to get their anti-gay stance across as many media outlets as possible.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 PM

It seems Ford had an agreement not to pick sides in the culture war, and they broke it. No one cares if you discrimate against religious people, but they expect those same religious people to not stand for what they think is right.

A boycott is a civillian action, not government imposed action. It is a civil right to protest. Do you want to deny them the right to protest?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems Ford had an agreement not to pick sides in the culture war, and they broke it. No one cares if you discrimate against religious people, but they expect those same religious people to not stand for what they think is right.

A boycott is a civillian action, not government imposed action. It is a civil right to protest. Do you want to deny them the right to protest?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is advertising in a gay magazine picking sides in the culture war? I'd call it "trying to sell cars".
I agree they have a right to protest, but a boycott of Ford because they advertise in a gay magazine is more of a "KKK parade" type of protest than most.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:19 PM

Of course they can do whatever they want. I just think they are hypocritical, small-minded jerkoffs.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course they can do whatever they want. I just think they are hypocritical, small-minded jerkoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

A boycott is strictly voluntary. Let anyone boycott what they want. What we need to watch out for are the federal judges who use the force of the government to suppress groups. Now that is scary, and the religious groups are often the victims of such government oppression in this country.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats your absolute right to feel that way. I think the best way to put them in theirplace would be to launch a counter protest with 20X hte people, or just to watch the last 50 anti gay bigots fail miserably at anything close to a successful boycott.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A boycott is strictly voluntary. Let anyone boycott what they want. What we need to watch out for are the federal judges who use the force of the government to suppress groups. Now that is scary, and the religious groups are often the victims of such government oppression in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with what you are saying here. I'm just frustrated with the lack of backlash. If I formed a group that wanted to boycott Ford because they sell cars to african-americans, I'm pretty sure the media would crucify me.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:45 PM

I strongly disagree with the assertion that religious groups are the target of judicial oppression in the US. Please name for me any religious group whose opinions have been censored or abridged when the expression of such an opinion has not been in direct violation of established laws or constitutional guarantees. I cannot think of such an instance.

One area in which I think religious conservatives have a valid point is same-sex marriage in instances where its permissability is mandated my the courts. Still, I would encourage people who oppose gay marriage to engage in the political process (which they do). My point is that I think it is not only acceptable but healthy for society overall for groups to express themselves politically but I still think the religious right is a bunch of yahoos.