Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-17-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Party poker bad beat jackpot

What's up donks,

Hey, anyone know when it actually pays to play in the party poker bad beat games. I play 15/30 regularly and have never played the bad beat games. the details of the jackpot are below. Just wondering if any of you math geniuses have done the work to find out when it's actually a + ev proposition. Gracias

Dorf

Fund distribution
Every time the jackpot is hit, 70% of the jackpot amount will be distributed and 20% will be used as seed amount for the next jackpot. 10% will be retained by Party Poker as administrative fee. Of the distributed amount, 50% will go to the loser of the hand (the Bad Beat), 25% to the winner and 25% will be split between the other seated players who actively participated in the hand (any player sitting out will not receive a portion of the jackpot).

To Qualify for the Progressive Bad Beat Jackpot

Bad beats will be paid out on real money Hold'em games (Limits $2/$4, $3/$6, $5/$10, $10/$20 and $15/$30); available under the Bad Beat Jackpot Tab only.
4 or more players must be dealt into the hand.
Players sitting out do not qualify for the jackpot.
The losing hand must contain four of a kind (8’s) or better to qualify.
The BEST hand of the winner and the loser must include both the hole cards and the hand must go to a showdown.
The hand must be raked and jackpot contribution collected from the hand to qualify for a bad beat jackpot.
If there are two or more hands that qualify for the jackpot within one hand #, then the two highest hands will be considered for the jackpot, with the highest hand being the winning hand (the winner) and the second highest hand winning the bad beat (the loser of the hand).
In the event that two qualifying Jackpot hands are hit at exactly the same time, the hand starting first (based on our system clock) will be awarded the jackpot.
Players must play their hands independently and cannot tell opponents how to act or reveal their hand to other players. Violations will disqualify the hand for the Jackpot.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Party poker bad beat jackpot

You might want to try posting this in the probability forum, or search for it because I know it has been discussed in depth.

The short answer, if I recall, is that is is +EV to pay the extra rake for the BBJ once it gets to about 175k.

Later
Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 AM

You don't need to post this in every forum.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:41 AM

BBJ Level Required for +EV: Level BBJ Level
$2-$4 $130,000
$3-$6 $149,000
$5-$10 $177,000
$10-$20 $189,000
$15-$30 $198,000

Source: http://www.bonuswhores.com/party-poker.php
Old 12-17-2005, 06:27 AM

The numbers posted here do not take into account the softer games in the BBJ area compared to the non-BBJ games. Seems to be worth the extra $.50 to me.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The numbers posted here do not take into account the softer games in the BBJ area compared to the non-BBJ games. Seems to be worth the extra $.50 to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to think that but I am not sure this is true any more. I remember a few months ago when the BBJ was above 500K and something like 9 out of 10 were TAGs.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:18 AM

What does the stakes of the game have to do with 50 cents?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does the stakes of the game have to do with 50 cents?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered the same thing. I decided that it probably had to do with the % of raked hands at each limit. I figured that they may have assumed that any qualifying bad beat would generate enough action to guarantee that it was a raked hand. All of the other hands just lose you money on the jackpot rake.