Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-07-2005, 09:29 PM

Default 10-20 shorthanded stud high

So the villian here seems decent to good. A few hands earlier I was caught bluffing with 3 to a flush showing on 5th.

I had been pretty aggressive eating up all those GINORMOUS antes and BI's.

Who raises 4th? Who caps river?

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (0.90 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (1.45 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (5.45 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (9.45 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises

Total pot: (15.45 BB)
Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: 10-20 shorthanded stud high

[ QUOTE ]
Who raises 4th?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.

[ QUOTE ]
Who caps river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a better question is, "Why are we raising the river at all?"

The guy has bet into you on three successive big bet streets and you've raised him on the last two. Now he's leading into you on a river with aces on board after that action? I'm just calling. b/c he should expect you can beat aces up and won't call if you can't do so. So I'm worried he has a boat personally (and if he's good, but choked and bet aces up on the end after the preceeding action, can he really call another raise?).

Jeff
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a better question is, "Why are we raising the river at all?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I immediately thought this when I posted the hand.

Thanks for confirming the raise was a bit overboard.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 PM

Not raising 4th here has its merits, as it will be fairly obvious you have a 4-flush if you raise. You have 7s and 3s here almost never. While I think raising should be the default play, calling should be done with nonzero frequency. Moreover, if you just call on fifth you should consider raising weak opponents on fifth even when you don't hit. You can then bet or check behind sixth street accordingly. On the other hand if you raise fifth, you will be bet into almost surely if you don't hit another suited card on fifth.

I also just call the river. This guy has bet on every street. If he's an idiot, make a note of it and pop him more on future hands.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Nice location.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nice location.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks; you too buddy.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:03 PM

Anybody else bring it in for a raise?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 PM

I don't really like completing as the bring in especially in this format. I think the outcome of winning the $3 in the middle while risking $10 isn't worth much, and if you get a caller your probably not far ahead. Keep some deception and push them around when the money is in the pot.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:31 AM

Raise fourth, call river.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:32 AM

I think raising fourth is a little pointless since it's so obvious what you have. I'd go for it if any of your upcards were 9 or higher or if the villain is weak tight. Against a decent villain who is also agro I'd expect you to get 3 bet pretty often.