Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 07:34 AM

Default How Am I Doin Gentlemen?

I 8 table everything, sometimes 12. Only one that didn't work out (obviously) was the 1/2 6max game... the fuckers.

I think my vpip needs to improve up to 17 on the full ring game. I don't know what to think about my BB and SB stats really... also, should I steal more?

I think the 2/4 stats are the most accurate regarding my game, since i've only recently started playing that level. Looks okay there, right now, I think. Wish I had a 2bb winrate, but, *shrugs* not there yet.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: How Am I Doin Gentlemen?

You're paying way too much in rake, fish. You need to get your game together. Fish.

Just kidding. It looks fine (although I use PO, so I can't interpret some of the stats). You're one tight-aggressive bastard, aren't you? Good job!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:41 AM

Congratulations, you are probably beating 1/2.

Now, if you want to get good at poker, stop trying to make your vpip and your steal % and any other random stat fit some arbitrary mold of what you think those stats should be, and start learning the goddamn game.

Will
Old 10-28-2005, 07:42 AM

Haha, well, actualy, I got rake back for much of that, 30% actualy, untill this wretched party split... But oh well.

What stats don't you understand?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:48 AM

Hah, well, thanks for the constructive criticism bro.

Although, I won't accept the notion that statistics are unimportant in poker - I think that they are extremely important. Playing good poker means playing statistically correct in whatever situation you find yourself in... It's all about math, probabilities, etc. If i'm folding too often, I want to know... so that I CAN improve my game more and more.

It's true that having specific numbers alone don't mean much, you have to seriously understand the game as well as have good instincts... but stats can certainly lead you into the right direction, when THINKING about your game.

Anyways, I could beat the hell out of 5/10 now, if I had the BankRoll for it... I just wouldn't be beating it as well as I would like to, and - by that, I mean, I wouldn't be making as much money as I should.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:50 AM

it's ok to limp in on occasion.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although, I won't accept the notion that statistics are unimportant in poker - I think that they are extremely important. Playing good poker means playing statistically correct in whatever situation you find yourself in... It's all about math, probabilities, etc. If i'm folding too often, I want to know... so that I CAN improve my game more and more.

[/ QUOTE ]
#1 - Based on your sample sizes and your comments above - you're putting too much emphasis on your stats. I'm not saying that stats aren't relevant - they are. But they are certainly not the most important aspect.

#2 - If you think that simply knowing that how often you fold is more important than when or why you are folding (or raising, or calling, or stealing, etc...) you are unquestionably proceeding down the wrong path to learning how to play better poker.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 AM

Play "good" poker, and your "good" stats will come with it.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 AM

Also...

If you want to get better at poker - stop playing so many tables. The profitability is nice - but spreading your concentration that thin isn't going to help in improving your game.

Second - play more hands! Although, I can understand that your low VP$IP and low steal rate, combined with a high PFR% and probably high AF (although you didn't show it), is likely a direct result of playing a very defined style of poker as a result of playing so many tables at once.

I think you should post your aggression. I also think you should post your VP$IP by position (where I'd predict that the margin between your Button VP$IP and your UTG VP$IP is probably pretty small).
Old 10-28-2005, 08:04 PM

As I said before, looking at the statistics are only ways of helping you look in the right direction. I'm also studying over all of hands that i've played, and trying to figure out places I should have folded, shouldn't have folded, etc. It's not just trying to make the stats look good, i'm workin myself pretty hard trying to make my game as good as I can possibly get it.