Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-07-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Lots Of \"Chatter\" That Janice Rogers Brown Will Get The SCOTUS Nom.

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect that there would be tremendous pressure on him to nominate a very conservative person in this category, such as D.C. Circuit judge Janice Rogers Brown. If President Bush does nominate Brown, this will be the biggest battle the Senate has seen in decades. Not only election law cases, but the entire set of recent precedents from affirmative action to federalism to possibly even abortion will be on the line. The fundamental nature of the Supreme Court's role will be at stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, God, we can only hope so. Comparing JRB to Gonzales is like comparing Led Zep to Creed. You kinda got to hop around, and I can't find all the stuff I saw last night, but here are some links:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2125791/

http://volokh.com/posts/1125942214.shtml

http://www.professorbainbridge.com/2...g_roberts.html
Old 09-07-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Lots Of \"Chatter\" That Janice Rogers Brown Will Get The SCOTUS Nom

Those links seem to imply that Brown is more of a longshot. For instance, one of them sets her odds at 20-1 and other says, "A lot of people seem to think (Brown will get the nomination), but on balance I find it less than likely. "
Old 09-07-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Lots Of \"Chatter\" That Janice Rogers Brown Will Get The SCOTUS Nom.

The top 6 on tradesports:

Edith Brown Clement
Alberto R Gonzales
Edith Hollan Jones
Michael Luttig
Michael W McConnell
Janice Rogers Brown

The top 2 on the list would be bad choices, the other 4 would be excellent.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Lots Of \"Chatter\" That Janice Rogers Brown Will Get The SCOTUS Nom.

Actually, all things being equal, McConnell would prolly be the best choice. He's prolly the smartest of the bunch, and he's no crusader. Kind of an unsexier, less politically connected Roberts. But he ain't gotta hope in hell, that's my belief.

It will almost certainly be a Hispanic or a woman, and if Stevens grabs his left tit it'll then be whatever didn't get picked this time.

Shame, but there's ton's of luck & timing involved in SCOTUS noms.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Lots Of \"Chatter\" That Janice Rogers Brown Will Get The SCOTUS Nom

Yeah, I can't find the stuff that seemed to make her the co-fave along with Gonzales. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 05:13 PM

I think Jones may be the one. She is the right gender, but solid (unlike Clement).
Old 09-07-2005, 05:23 PM

How would you like to see JRB get this one, then have Jones & McConnell replace Stevens & Souter? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually, it may well be Jones. I don't think Gonzo really wants the job else Bush woulda nom'd him first off. I don't think he wants to live in DC the next 20 years.

Jones is much more openly anti-Roe than JRB, tho, which could be a factor. The Evangelicals don't want Gonzo & Clement. McConnell, if he were replacing Stevens, would prolly sail thru.

But as I've posted before I'm dying to hear Biden & Kennedy tell JRB that she "doesn't understand the challenges & obstacles faced by women & minorities". [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

JRB's a noted flamethrower so you know it'd be all guns blazing. I love SCOTUS noms, just love 'em.