Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 09-04-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Isolated myself into half of a small pot, I think I still like it?

My raise on third was made in the hopes everyone would call the extra bet to build a monster pot in which I felt I was the best contender for winning the whole pot, instead my opponent decided to make them all face two bets cold with apparently a pair of 9s (shockingly this opponent went broke while I type this, which is quite unfortunate). Not quite sure what to think of my opponent that folded on 7th, I assume he was unable to pull out any kind of low or weak two pair that he could call with in hopes of getting some piece of this pot. My burst of energy on 6th was to build a side pot which I could only assume I was ahead for both high and low in the event I was unable to make a low on the river against the all in opponent that I was giving credit for 6s full or Aces full. Also, should I be completing with a hand like 254 with a 2 flush? I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as a premium hand in this game other than obvious rolled up/3 straight flush, I would assume that this hand is pretty good.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises

5th Street - (9.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (12.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets $3.75 and is all-in
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises

River - (15.44 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: 16.44 BB

Results:
Total pot $61.75 Main pot $59.25. Side pot $0.50. | Rake $2

Seat 1: [9d 9h 6h As Ts Td 9c] (HI: a full house, Nines full of

Hero: [5s 4h 2s 6d Kh Kc 7d] (HI: a pair of Kings; LO: 7,6,5,4,2)
Old 09-04-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Isolated myself into half of a small pot, I think I still like it?

I like the raise on 4th. It's a little optimstic to presume Seat 1 won't 3bet as a lot of players might do so with 4 low with an ace or a pair of aces, both of which do very well heads up especially with a lot of dead money in the middle. All those people jammed in the middle folding isn't that bad to you either since it improves your chances of wondering into the high half of the pot if you do make a straight or even a low two pair. NH.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:10 AM

I would make it a full bet on third. The raise on fourth is mandatory. If the bettor three-bets and knocks people out, great. You've got it heads-up with some two-way potential and some dead money. If everyone calls, even better.

I would consider raising on fifth as well. I don't like the check-raise on sixth. If the other guy bets, presumably he has your Kings beaten. You need to catch, and you only have one card to get there. Betting out would have been fine, though.

Gotta love an opponent who jams with pocket Nines.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:17 AM

Raise on 3rd is absolutely 100% automatic.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 AM

complete third. Rest looks good. NH
Old 09-05-2005, 10:44 PM

Even though the bettor is all-in you don't like the checkraise? Seems obvious to me.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:24 PM

OK, I get it now, but the check-raise is good only because the bettor is all-in.