Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 06-25-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: I may be moving to Austin Tx. Any good card rooms there?

No doubt Austin is a great town. I'm a native Texan and spent the last 4 years in Austin before relocating for work to Minneapolis, MN. I played in a few games and heard about many others so if you want some live action, there's plenty in Austin. No f'ing way it's 3.5 hours to OK. If you want to do a B&M trip, the best action is in Lake Charles, LA although that's 5.5-6.0 hours away. However, I heard they just opened a brand new place down there which means there are at least 3 poker rooms now - possibly 4.

I loved Austin, but the traffic is so horrible for that size of a town that it really takes away from the quality of living there. I had a 15 mile commute each way into a NW Austin suburb and on a good day that was a 45 minute drive - most were close to an hour and God help you if there's a wreck.

That said, I liked it so much, I'd move back in a heartbeat - although I'm finding that I'm really enjoying Minneapolis - especially the spring/summer/fall. I moved here in November, so I got here just in time for the winter - which totally sucked. But, it's nice to enjoy low 80's high's in late June when my folks in Austin are boiling at near 100 with 60+% humidity.

Have fun in Austin - you'll love it!
Old 06-25-2005, 10:25 PM

Austin is full of card rooms. What do you want to play?
Old 06-25-2005, 11:01 PM

Minnesota in the summer is almost as bad as Austin. Low 80s, I think you must be referring to the humidity. Plus, you have to deal with the misquitos in the summer.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my folks in Austin are boiling at near 100 with 60+% humidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you implying austin is humid? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

try houston...st. louis...miami.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:55 AM

Trust me Tom - I've spent most of my 35 years living in Texas, including Houston (where I'm from). Summer here is light years better than in Texas. Check weather.com - it's 73 here now with a high today in the low 80's. Sure, it's a little humid, but if you are a Texan (from Houston) it's not bad. It makes a big difference when the temps cool down at night, which they don't do down there. I recall many a summer night in Austin where the overnight low temp stayed in the mid-high 80's. It just doesn't do that here. We've only had a few days so far this year where the mosquito's were out of control. But yes, that is a problem here during the summer time.

Of course, Minneapolis also has Canterbury Park, although I've only been about 4 times since I moved here 8 months ago...
Old 06-26-2005, 11:52 AM

I think its funny that players in the Austin/ San Antonio area dont consider the fact that it is a 5-6 hour drive (and $100 in gas) to Lake Charles or Winstar or wherever.... but they could hop a flight to Las Vegas for $99 and be there in 1 1/2 hours.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:31 PM

I considered it, as did many of my other poker playing friends. In fact, I was in Vegas more frequently than in Lake Charles. However, back in the days before it was $2.15 for a gallon of gas and there were 3-4 of us going - it was MUCH cheaper to pile in the car and drive (and a fun road trip) than all paying for airfare, cabs, etc... going to Vegas.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:56 PM

Those were the days. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I heard they just opened a brand new place down there which means there are at least 3 poker rooms now - possibly 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new place, L'Auberge du Lac, is a high class place. I was very disappointed to learn that they DO NOT have a poker room. They say they plan to add one in three months or so. Will have to wait and see.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its funny that players in the Austin/ San Antonio area dont consider the fact that it is a 5-6 hour drive (and $100 in gas) to Lake Charles or Winstar or wherever.... but they could hop a flight to Las Vegas for $99 and be there in 1 1/2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please let me know if you find one. I can't seem to find a flight out of Austin to vegas for less than $240 for a round trip. Southwest always has deals, but they are never available on the weekends...