Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 01:38 PM

Default 3 hands

There are a zillion routine situations, that I'm starting to wonder if they are routine, so I'm going to post some and see if any thing gets a bite.

Hand 1. New to the table button open calls and I check 76o in BB. Flop is Q75. Bet, call. Turn A and a second heart. Check, bet, fold. How did I do?

Hand 2. I open raise MP AcQd and am 3-bet by someone I suspect is a tight raiser/3-better. BB calls 2. Flop is 875 with 2 clubs. 3-better opens and we both call. How is this call?

Hand 3. 3 limpers, SB completes, I check Q3s in BB. Flop is QQJ with 2 diamonds. I bet and only UTG calls. Turn is 9 and a second club. I bet, UTG raises, I call. River is K. (BD QQJ9K). Check, Check. I'm good. How'd I do?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: 3 hands

I don't like the line of play in Hand 1. Much prefer betting and folding to a raise, then checking and calling on the river without improvement. He just limped in on the Button so I'm not giving him credit for much of anything. And people who just limp in on the Button will take one off the flop with just about anything. The check invites him to push you off a hand with his Nothing.

Hand 2. I think you should probably bail while the bailing's good if his 3-betting standards are as tight as you say they are. A minority of the time, I'll bet into a flop like this in this spot. I pretty much hate checking and calling when I have doubt about whether my hand will be best if I catch it, runner runner river flushie excluded.

Hand 3, I want to get another bet in. He won't put you on trips since you (quite nicely, I might add) just bet out instead of being "tricky".

[ QUOTE ]
There are a zillion routine situations, that I'm starting to wonder if they are routine, so I'm going to post some and see if any thing gets a bite.

Hand 1. New to the table button open calls and I check 76o in BB. Flop is Q75. Bet, call. Turn A and a second heart. Check, bet, fold. How did I do?

Hand 2. I open raise MP AcQd and am 3-bet by someone I suspect is a tight raiser/3-better. BB calls 2. Flop is 875 with 2 clubs. 3-better opens and we both call. How is this call?

Hand 3. 3 limpers, SB completes, I check Q3s in BB. Flop is QQJ with 2 diamonds. I bet and only UTG calls. Turn is 9 and a second club. I bet, UTG raises, I call. River is K. (BD QQJ9K). Check, Check. I'm good. How'd I do?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-12-2004, 02:07 PM

is this 1/2 or 20-40?

Online or Live?

Old 03-12-2004, 02:11 PM

Default 15/30 online n/m

Old 03-12-2004, 02:40 PM

#1. It seems to me there are many ways to play this hand. When someone open limps on the button, I suspect they are either silly or have a monster or both, usually just silly. Even if they are silly, they do have two cards. This player was brand new to me. I actually think check-folding or check-calling the flop is reasonable. I'm not sure how much I like the bet-fold on the turn against an unknown (which I sometimes do). He open limped on the button with A-high? Huh? It seems to me that that is an easy bluff raise with any hand that might call -- I mean what am I saying, I like the J-high board, now I like the A-high board, I'm huge -- or, I just made a hand -- or, I got to protect my pair and I'm calling you down. I don't really like the bet, bet, check-call line, either, so maybe you can tell me more.

Hand 2. I just started taking one off here in the last couple of months, on the theory I've got a 4 out hand -- after my default was "Respect the 3-better". Yeah, my Aces will sometimes not be good or a Q will prove costly, but sometimes my As and Qs will be good.

Hand 3. Yeah. My read on the player was fairly tight and tough, and when he limped UTG I really didn't want to see the flop. Who limps UTG? I would have bet the river if the 4-straight didn't show.

I really appreciate the comments.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1. It seems to me there are many ways to play this hand. When someone open limps on the button, I suspect they are either silly or have a monster or both, usually just silly. Even if they are silly, they do have two cards. This player was brand new to me. I actually think check-folding or check-calling the flop is reasonable. I'm not sure how much I like the bet-fold on the turn against an unknown (which I sometimes do). He open limped on the button with A-high? Huh? It seems to me that that is an easy bluff raise with any hand that might call -- I mean what am I saying, I like the J-high board, now I like the A-high board, I'm huge -- or, I just made a hand -- or, I got to protect my pair and I'm calling you down. I don't really like the bet, bet, check-call line, either, so maybe you can tell me more.

[/ QUOTE ]

The advice in hand #1 is no doubt motivated by having had the good fortune to play 3- and 4-handed lately against a slate of truly horrible opponents. He limps in on the Button 'cuz he has two cards and he takes one off the flop 'cuz he has two cards and the board isn't that scary. Against an opponent who really is that weak, it's literally as simple as making a value bet on the turn because you have a pair. It's tougher against an unknown, though. The other reason that I instinctually dislike the check-fold is because I think it leaves me a bit vulnerable on future hands; again, that's a more important consideration in shorthanded play where you'll have to push marginal holdings more often.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:05 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

hand 1 is a very interesting one on party, namely that if you bet a qxx or kxx flop and the turn drops an ace, you will often get raised by turned flush draws, gutshots, bottom pair, etc that will check it down if you call. i would probably bet the turn just to not look like a poke-and-checkfold kind of guy. for as little as people remember in general, they really seem to remember THAT. i've had to change tables because of it after the whole world started taking turn shots at me after watching similar incidents.

i think the call on hand 2 is fine. a club or a queen are extremely welcome, and an ace isn't bad despite the fear of domination from AK or the bb's A[8/7/5](s).

the king on the river really locks you up on hand 3. i would have bet again if a deuce or whatever dropped.