Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Vegas trip report . . . Long and drunken

So I haven't been to Vegas in about 6 months. I have put in nearly 20K hands between .02/.04 and .5/1 since then. Meh, I still suck.

Got into Vegas at about 3 in the afternoon on Wednesday. Checked in, had a cocktail, sent the girlfriend off to Caesar’s with some cash, and sat down at a 2/4 table at Luxor. Here is a small piece of advice for those of you looking to play a ring game in the hours between 3 PM and 7 PM on a Wednesday. DO NOT PLAY AT LUXOR. Apparently, they have some sort of promotion for players that have logged 15 hours in the previous week, where whoever wins the most hands between 3 and 7 PM on Wednesday’s gets $500 or something. The rest of the locals, rocks, stumps, whatever, chop up a few hundred more. It leads to the least action I have ever seen in my life, and it took me an hour and a half to figure out what the f... was going on, cause the locals didn’t want to fess up to it.

-$8 +4 beers.

Had dinner at the a cafe in Caesars’ with the girlfriend. The new forum section is nice, and by all means check out Agent Provacateur if you have a lady friend with you. Dropped some more coin on some fancy clothes, and overall had a nice time at Caesars, but no poker.

Got back to Luxor at about midnight. Way too many beers into the day to think about anything but 2/4, so back I went. Tables were full of too loose calling stations, and total lags. By 3 AM I was up $80 and couldn’t see my cards anymore. Well I can still play blackjack blind right?

+$70 +12 (or so) beers

Girlfriend wakes me at about 9 Thursday morning. Room service is getting cold. Sweet, pancakes, sausage, and coffee. Pool time after breakfast, and then it’s off to Mirage. She wanted to see the dolphins and tigers, I wanted to get in the 6/12. Game is a little tight (by party .50/1 standards), but mid-day mid-week, it’s to be expected. Managed to break even in the hour and a half I sat, so not bad at all.

Back to Luxor for a nap, and then off to Bellagio for dinner at Prime. Oh yeah, I’m proposing to her, did I fail to mention that? So she says “yes”, and cries for a bit. The guys at the table behind us sent champagne and congratulations. As my now fiance returns from the ladies room, she says “hey look, it’s Jesus.” I look up at Chris Ferguson waiting for dinner with what looks like Chip Jett, Tony Ma, and some others in the glass dining room at the back. “Cool” I think to myself.

Dinner finishes up nicely, and it’s upstairs to “O” for the 10:30 show. For those of you that know the layout of Bellagio, we have to walk past the poker room to get there. I’m not really paying attention to the room, as I know I’m not playing tonight, and “O” better be good for 20 BB’s in the 6/12. “Look, it’s Fossil-Dude”. She points out Greg Raymer just past the rail. A little farther down, Gus Hansen and Chau Giang (I think) are engaged in a black/yellow chip (how big are those?) heads up game of HORSE on a break from the tournament tables. We watch for a minute before heading to the show.

“O” is incredible. See it. That is all.

The rest of the night is none of your damn business.

Friday is gorgeous. The winds have died down, and the pool is lovely. After lunch, I book 6 hours at MGM in the 4/8. This was my last hand:

Hero is in MP with TT
2 Limpers, Hero raises, 2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, limpers call.
Flop 335 rainbow
BB checks, UTG checks, +1 bets, Hero raises, CO folds, BB folds, UTG cold-calls, +1 calls
Turn 4 completing the rainbow
UTG checks, +1 checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, +1 folds
River A
UTG checks, Hero checks.

UTG has 72o for the rivered gutshot.

I nearly threw up in my mouth. Time to go, buh bye. The room is really nice, and they are getting all the kinks worked out. But, the game was sooooo soft that it was like playing bingo. I left a rack lighter.

On the way back to Luxor, I stopped in the Excal for an hour of 2-6. What a fun game. One $2 blind means you should really just sit and wait for super premium hands. Notice I said “should”. I limped nearly everything. Post flop is easy. Bet or raise $6 every time. Oh yeah, I walked out of that game $50 lighter.

Over to The Palms after dinner and some not-worth-remembering diplays of idiocy at the craps table. I thought they had a poker room at The Palms. In fact, they have 2 side-by-side poker closets. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I sat in the 2/4 as I was inebriated, again. Left up $12, but have no idea of a running total, as I have now been offering the dealer $1 every time he/she can get me 2 cards T or higher in any position MP2 or later. Yeah, drunk again.

Came home today, and am already planning my return trip.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Vegas trip report . . . Long and drunken

Congrats on the engagement, man!

Plus, now you have a real solid reason to keep going - "come on, honey, its where we got engaged! It'll be romantic...no, I promise I won't spend the WHOLE time playing poker..."
Old 04-17-2005, 02:13 AM

Congrats on the engagement! Sounds like a fun trip.

My wife and I are seeing "O" when we're there in June, we're looking forward to that.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:19 AM

free champagne?? score!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is in MP with TT
2 Limpers, Hero raises, 2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, limpers call.
Flop 335 rainbow
BB checks, UTG checks, +1 bets, Hero raises, CO folds, BB folds, UTG cold-calls, +1 calls
Turn 4 completing the rainbow
UTG checks, +1 checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, +1 folds
River A
UTG checks, Hero checks.

UTG has 72o for the rivered gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... he has a 2, with a 345 on the board. And an ace falls. Not a gutshot, but umm...yeah. Tough luck anyhow. What did you have?

Oh, and congrats!
Old 04-17-2005, 03:11 AM

he had a double belly buster on the turn
Old 04-17-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he had an open-ender on the turn...
Old 04-17-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he had an open-ender on the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you went all in. Gee... I thought you plaid limit, boy was I wrong.

Congrats!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you went all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounded like he hit the open-ender and the gutshot.