Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Question about Multi-tabling strategy

Hello,

I see a lot of people here multi-table and was wondering something. Do you guys just play the cards, or are you at the same time observing how the other players on the table are playing also? I tried to 2 table once and it was hard enough for me; I can't see how some of you guys play 4 or 6 tables, that blows my mind. Usually when I play at a table I study each players betting habits and what hands they play etc... If you're playing 8 tables this seems very difficult. So I was wondering if when multitabling you just strictly play your cards.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Question about Multi-tabling strategy

it helps if you have a monitor where you can see both (or all) tables at once without any overlap. yu can keep track better.

if you have playerview or gametime+ then all of your opponents' stats are right there on the screen so you have an idea of when a player is a maniac or a rock without having to study him too much. i might not have noticed a guy for the last zillion hands on one of my tables....and if he raises from EP and I see he is a total rock from the stats then I will obviously respect that raise.

obviously you are more just playing good cards in appropriate positions.
some players are really read-dependent for their success.
others just play ABC poker on as many tables as possible for maximum win-rate.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Use this: www.pokertracker.com
Old 01-16-2005, 10:08 PM

Poker Tracker helps a lot. Most people just play ABC poker which is good enough to win in most low limit games. I usually don't start paying much attention to certain players unless I get a feeling they are bluffing me out of pots. (which rarely happens)
Old 01-16-2005, 11:34 PM

multitabling is a skill in it's own right. I used to feel overwhelmed playing more than one table. I currently play 3 (sometimes 4 but the overlap makes it more difficult) and have no problem getting reads on players at each table. Combine that with PT stats to fill out the blanks and it's all good. It just takes getting used to. Don't jump into 4 tables, gradually add them as you feel comfortable. More than 4 though and I've no idea. I'd guess they look at a few key players at each table and rely more on stats.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:15 AM

I multi four tables with no PT stats. I need to get back into Pt but have just been feeding my stats into poker journal b/c I was playing so many non-pt supported sites(mostly bodogs and pacific). I get few reads on the other players. I am usually either emailing or watching t.v. or, mostly, scanning this place. I am sure I could do better if I paid more attention but I am still winning 1.5 BB an hour/per table at 2/4 and 3/6 over aprox. 50,000 hands.

I downloaded Gametime about a month ago, so I hope to figure that out soon and start trying to focus a little more. I tried pokertracker again and, my god, I dont even remember how to use it anymore; and I have over 30,000 hands in it.

Oh well, will have to spend some time and become familar with pt again b/c that program rules and Gametime looks like a great addition. and...if only you could manually put stats in pt.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
some players are really read-dependent for their success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am read dependent. I read Cat Fancy and Cat Poker for Advanced Felines while playing or I'm lost. Meow.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:40 AM

I am now playing for 4 months. I also was totally overwhelmed with 2 tables in the beginning but could add a table time after time. I play 4 tables now (mainly ABC poker) on a 1280x resolution and it is way more fun than grinding it out at one table. Helped me also to get that pesky VPIP down.

I guess in two weeks or so I would like to add even two more if I had more screen real estate.

However, I do this only to get to the bonus requirement faster. If not playing for bonus I will play only 2 tables and move up a limit to better develop my game.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:21 AM

All you guys who are multi-tabling on monitors of 1200x800 (or worse) would be wise to look into improving a 1600x1200 monitor.

Trust me....I did the 1200x800 scene long enough to know what it's like and what the difference is.
You THINK you have adjusted and you THINK you aren't missing much by clicking between tables that overlap....but it's just SO much easier when you see the whole table at all times.

Anyway, you don't even need to get the Dell 2001's that everyone here loves so much (I haven't yet).
You should be able to get a CRT for $200 I would think that can do 1600x1200.
The CRT that I got goes all the way up to 2100x1500 (even though my computer doesn't) and that only cost $260 I think + shipping.

You might be able to do even less than $200 with a used monitor and a hole-in-the-wall computer-parts and fix-it shop.

And, for heavens' sake, if you are 3 or 4-tabling AND also are looking at p-tracker or surfing 2+2 or whatever then set up a 2nd monitor. Again, this can be an el-cheapo. I had a $50 used-monitor as my 2nd monitor for quite awhile and even that was helpful.

It's a worthwhile investment.
Get that screen-space going. It helps a lot.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 AM

Bob, thanks for the encouragement.

My strategy is that I convince my wife to first I upgrade to a new computer system. She doesn't buy it that we REALLY need one though, since surfing and Office just work great on the 7 year old machine. Since she is still somewhat concerned that I "gamble for money", I cannot use "well honey, with the better video card I can multitable better and together with the faster processor I can also use gametime+ , etc." as a reason.

Since I am not the master of our marriage but at least of our computer system I a) plan on letting it deteriorate (for instance, it will suddenly loose its capability to run solitaire which is still the only game my wife plays) then b) "discover" a nice package deal (system + nice monitor) which you simply cannot turn down, and c) plug in the old monitor as a 2nd screen.