Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 05:49 AM

Default SSH starting hand recommendations

I know SSH says don't get caught up on recommendations, but I have 2 questions regarding the Tight Games recommendations.

1)In the big blind it says call right down to 54s for one bet, this seems a little loose for me ( I will be probably avoiding the lower end of the hand rankings til I improve Postflop). What do you guys think?

2) It does not tell you to reraise AQs in any position against a raise - Is this player dependant like the book talks about? If the raiser would raise with a number of hands, should you reraise?
What about AQo it doesnt even say thats plable from any postion against a raise. Obviously its worse than AQs, but I would reraise it. Your views?

I know I have a lot to learn and I'm not sayings I'm right - I just need a bit of clarifcation.

StuR
Old 08-30-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Re: SSH starting hand recommendations

Exactly why would you reraise AQ? In a tight game, a raise is typically made on hands like AK, AA, KK, AQ, QQ. Why would you reraise with AQ? Do you really think you are up against AJ or another dominated ace? You *could* be going against JJ or TT but why raise? They won't fold, and you won't get much action if you flop an ace or a queen.

So, either you won't hit anything at all and probably lose, or you will hit an ace or a queen and still ending up being the loser. This is why you shouldn't reraise in a tight game.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:49 AM

1) So you're saying that someone else raised and you must call that raise, correct? Here, I think it's ok to call a bet b/c your pot odds are pretty good if you flop a straight draw(which what you're really hoping for) or a flush draw(not so much b/c of your low cards--but that's just me). You're already in the hand for one bet anyway so an extra bet isn't all that bad. However, I think it would be ok to fold if you're not comfortable playing the hand.

2) AQ is a big hand, however it shrinks up a bit against a raise. Against TT JJ and AJ you're pretty much 50/50. Against QQ-AA and AK though you're an underdog who needs a lot of help. Because of this, you kind of want to play it safe and just call rather than re-raise b/c if you do then you might face an aditional raise(or cap) which shrinks your hand up even further. So bascially you just want to play it safe b/c you don't know what the raiser has.

That's my view anwyay.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:03 AM

Default ****** SSH hand recommendations in Microsoft Works Format

Okay, thanks for the replies.

What I've done is put the Starting hand charts into a spreadsheet format so they are in front of me when I play - hopefully than I can concentrate on Postflop skills. You may or may not agree with this.

I want to post the here in an attachment for two reasons

1) so anyone else can download and use them
2) so anyone can spot any mistakes I have made

I do not know the best way to get them onto to the forum, any help?

StuR
Old 08-30-2004, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) It does not tell you to reraise AQs in any position against a raise - Is this player dependant like the book talks about? If the raiser would raise with a number of hands, should you reraise?
What about AQo it doesnt even say thats plable from any postion against a raise. Obviously its worse than AQs, but I would reraise it. Your views?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's player dependent. Against a tight raiser, fold AQ although you can play AQs if several weak-loose players have cold-called already so domination is not as much of an issue and you're getting good implied odds if you make a nut or near-nut hand.

In general, to a tight or unknown early position raiser you should fold AQ as you are likely either a big underdog or slight favourite, and only really against AJ (which, especially at low limits, lots of players won't raise) are you a big favourite. Against a loose raiser or a position conscious LP raiser, you should threebet AQ.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:41 AM

BDP: AQ is *not* 50/50 against AJ
Old 08-30-2004, 09:54 AM

AQo should be folded against most preflop raises at a tight table. If you decide to play it, I would definately reraise but I'd probably only play it on the button against a CO open-raise or in the blinds against a possible steal raise from late position. An early or mid-position raise is too likely to be a coin flip at best (low pocket pair) or dominated at worst situation.

AQs could be reraised in the same situations as AQo, but other than that, calling is probably best. Very player dependent here.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:12 AM

Remember we are not talking about a Tight table by conventional definitions. Ed's use of TIGHT and LOOSE is relative (p. 78 footnote 42).

There are players in loose games that have dubious raising standards so what one does with AQo is player dependant. See p.73 for a brief dicussion on AQo facing a raise.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:23 AM

I've got a related question concerning playing hand for a raise. Yesterday I was against an opponent who was playing every hand and raising more than half of them (the raising seemed almost randome - sometimes he had a strong hand, most times it was average). How should I adjust to weak and super weak raising standards?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a related question concerning playing hand for a raise. Yesterday I was against an opponent who was playing every hand and raising more than half of them (the raising seemed almost randome - sometimes he had a strong hand, most times it was average). How should I adjust to weak and super weak raising standards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraise the loose raiser if you can trim the field. Fold if you can't.

Off-suit cards (regardless of how big they are) play poorly in multi-way pots.