Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 07:05 PM

Default New poster - QJo feedback wanted.

Hi I'm new to the 2+2 forums and pretty new to Hold'em. I've been playing for a couple of weeks at the Poker Stars .2/.4 and .5/.10 tables.

I'm trying to learn how to tune up my game, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out now and then!

Here's a recent hand I played. Let me know what you do and don't like.

Converted at PokerGeek
PokerStars Limit Hold'em Ring - $0.05/$0.10 Stakes (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, EP calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, LP raises, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Small blind calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, EP calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls

Flop: (10.60 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Small blind checks, EP checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, LP bets, Small blind calls, EP calls, Hero raises, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, LP calls, Small blind calls, EP calls

Turn: (9.30 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Small blind checks, EP checks, Hero bets, LP calls, Small blind calls, EP folds

River: (12.30 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Small blind bets, Hero calls, LP calls

Final Pot: $1.55 ($0 rake)

Results not shown
Old 12-26-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: New poster - QJo feedback wanted.

I don't like playing QJo from MP1 preflop.

I like the flop c/r.

I like the turn bet.

I like the river flat-call. What would you do if LP raised and SB called? If SB 3-bet?

Oh, and I don't like your handle.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:13 PM

I don't mind playing QJo from early middle position. I'm also a bit looser preflop than others.

Flop and turn is fine.

I probably just fold this river. SB just randomly donks into 2 people on the river when the flush comes in, plus the fact that 2s just tripped up. He's not betting a Q or a J here. You're 2-pair is almost never good here. It's a pretty easy call headsup, but with the overcaller behind you, I think this is a prety safe laydown.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:21 PM

Hello OMG and welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think that you played your hand pretty well.

You called with a marginal hand in a multiway pot, which is ok. And you check/raised the flop with top 2 pair when you knew there was a good chance the preflop raiser would start the betting.

Another possible way to play your hand, I think would have been to bet the flop.

That way, the preflop raiser may have raised your flop bet, and that would have helped to drive other players out of the hand.

That would then have increased the chances of your hand winning the pot. Also, you could have then 3-bet the preflop raiser.

The river card was a poor card which completed a lot of possible draws, so I think that you were correct to just call the river.

So, I think that the only different way in which I may have played your hand, is that I think that I would probably have bet the flop.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the comments so far. They are appreciated!

One thing that I like about poker is that there are often compelling arguments for different plays and I like your different perspectives.

I'm struggling a bit with starting hand selection in loose games. I want to open it up a bit, but not end up too loose myself. I could probably benefit from reserving QJ for LP or at least late mid. In that case, do you call or raise? Under what conditions?

I'm ambivalent about betting into the PF raiser on the flop versus check/raise. Is it more +EV to get the overcalls or to try to drive out the chasers if he raises? I'm not sure. I agree with your reasoning though.

I would have felt bad folding on the river for one bet, although I thought I was taking around 10:1 odds against a completed flush draw versus a bluff (the second two didn't scare me as much as the 3rd spade). If LP raised behind, I would have felt fine laying down regardless of SB's action.

Sorry about the annoying name, boz. I figured it would make sense to use my table name, and it is supposed to be somewhat irritating. Of course, that doesn't mean I have to annoy you guys with it. Maybe I'll "reroll" if it continues to get negative feedback.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reroll

[/ QUOTE ]
tell me where you got this from
Old 12-26-2005, 09:20 PM

&lt;grunch&gt; I bet out on the flop trying to isolate the PFR and not allowing any cheap flush draws.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:42 PM

grunch

i think you played it okay. when small blind wakes up it tells you what you feared (flush, two or even fullh) but it's a bigger mistake to fold when you've won than to lose one bet to a call.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reroll

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I think it dates back to D&amp;D when you roll dice to see the stats on the new character you're going to play. Most recently I use it in "World of Warcraft" which I play way too much.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reroll

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's from world of warcraft right?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]