Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Convince me not to go pro

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if being dead one day is the best way to make a decision, but I just want to make sure I think of all of the negative aspects of turning pro that I can, so I make a good decision. Thanks for the help

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's two scoreboards in life.

1)Happiness
2)Financial

for some people 2=1. If you will be financially solvent while playing poker full time (Figure out your exact expenses - every single penny of em from rent to cable to net, etc) and set that aside. Then play with the rest and try to take out what you can to refill the expenses pool.

If you don't think you'll be able to be happy in a corporate job, I can guarantee you won't be. I prefer a small working environment, so I work for a small business (4 people total) instead of a 10000+ corp. I'm happy there and I have what I consider a fun and engaging hobby. Not a bad life (and yes there's the rest of it, but that's not the issue here) in my book.

I guess my point is twofold - enjoy your life, you only get one - and remember there's alternatives to working in a megacorp. (If you're keen on charity work - work at a nonprofit and play poker on the side).
Old 12-10-2004, 07:40 PM

Go pro
Old 12-10-2004, 07:50 PM

Hi TM--

1. Those few years of my first job was a magical time. I learned real life lessons, made life-long friends, and actually learned something about what I studied in school. That experience was one of the best in my life. Your experience might not be as good as mine was, but I hate to see you miss the chance.

2. If you don't succeed at poker, or have some other reason to quit poker and join the real world, you will be at some disadvantage. You need to get out and get some experience in your field in case you need to get a job later. I think that you could get 3 years of real work under your belt and then take a shot with the confidence that you can find a real job if you have to.

3. Aside from the value of corporate benefits, there is something very soothing about the knowledge that bad days at work pay the same as good days. This knowledge will help your poker game.

4. Use the time working at a real job to improve your game and build your bankroll.

5. You need a pile of cash to confidently go pro. Something like 24 months expenses and 500 BB at your chosen level. Yeah, it could be done for less, but playing scared is not EV+.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi TM--

5. You need a pile of cash to confidently go pro. Something like 24 months expenses and 500 BB at your chosen level. Yeah, it could be done for less, but playing scared is not EV+.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally untrue. You dont need 24 months worth of expenses.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:30 PM

How old are you? 20?

Go get a job

Dont be fooled by the so-called freedom of being a poker pro.

As someone else has said dont even bother if you arent going to earn $100k a year.

The poker boom wont last forever, I'm sure a lot of the smart pros are saving up a ton of money for when it ends and the dumb ones arent.

What are you going to do in 5 years if it does die down? Will you have $400k to play with or $20k?

You going to go work at some low paying job because you have no skills or work experience.

If you really want to push poker a bit further get a casual or part-time job. You'll still have plenty of time to play.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:25 PM

To quote Kiss, "Its never to late to work nine to five". I think you should give it a shot if you can.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if being dead one day is the best way to make a decision

[/ QUOTE ]

I find making decisions with that in mind helps remove many stresses from life.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:03 PM

All of the young people that I know that are pros totally love their lives. I say go for it.
-James
Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 PM

I refuse to try to convice you to not go pro! What do want out of life? Do you want to be a friggin' wage slave who has to get up when they tell you too and have to eat when they tell you too as well. For the sake of the human spirit you must go pro!

Strike hard and low and to hell with them.

Master!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if being dead one day is the best way to make a decision

[/ QUOTE ]

I find making decisions with that in mind helps remove many stresses from life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read Journey to Ixtlan?