Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 10:40 AM

Default OT: Thinking out of the box and about players and situations

First off let me say that I am not expert only been playing for 8 months but I am a winning player. Second like all of you I read extensively before embarking on this thing we love called poker.

I use to be an ABC player until two months ago and the procedeed to win the 40k guaranteed in party. what happened you ask? Well one day during a sng it just clicked just like that. Although Harrington told me not to play certain hands with an M of X I did. To see just what would happen. I did I won. Harrington told me to stop bluffing after the continuation bet on the flop gets called but I bluffed again and again anyway. What happened? I won.

Now why did this happen? How could Harrington be wrong? Well see what happened to me and to most here as I read posts on this forum and others is that we read something use ICM to prove its validity and get stuck doing the same play over and over.

Poker is not an exact science. Poker is about creativity and situations. At its purest form poker is not about your cards anymore. Its about situations and reads. So you have 92o on the BB and the button raises for the 5th consecutive time. Fold right??? Not if you have a stack comparable to him. Raise him all in and watch him fold.

You have 43s utg and you raise to increase your Shania(those who don't know what I am talking about do a search). You get a late position caller. Q109 on board. What do you do? Easy check/fold right? Nope you call on the flop and take it away from him on the river because you read him correctly and saw his bets didn't make sense for the hand he was trying to represent.

People always wonder why is it that the same people always win. They must always get good cards right??? The truth is that winning players act on situations that are plus ev while the rest don't because they "read it in a book" or "calculated it to be wrong with some computer program"

Flame away.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: OT: Thinking out of the box and about players and situations

I don't understand why you think you should be flamed.

Could it be because you made a pointless, valueless, meaningless post, that did nothing but state some obvious stuff, and not even in a way in which those obvious things were phrased well?

Yeah, it's probably because of that.

citanul
Old 10-17-2005, 10:51 AM

No reason to be so harsh on him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. My take from reading, is that 90% of the posters/readers in a few of the other forums on 2+2 have not taken his points into consideration. This forum stands out as more creative and openminded, though.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:57 AM

This was just in response to being basically called a donk for advocating. Pushing with any two when you know player x in low position is stealing ur BB. But of course the mod here is a pro and makes millions unlike the rest of us. sigh.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:12 AM

teach this approach to as many people as you can. GG!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:16 AM

Not only are the correct things you say extremely obvious, you say some things that are very poor pieces of advice without the correct context. I'm not flaming you personally, I just don't want anyone listening to this and doing dumb things as a result. Your lets bluff someone till they fold idea looks to be rather missaplied.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 AM

Also the way he goes on about not accepting what Harrington says and ignoring ICM, and yet goes on about accepting another theory Shania without question (and it's highly debateable it's any good at all below $215 SNGs, and not even very good there because, simply, you don't play enough hands to make a difference).
Old 10-17-2005, 11:24 AM

The plays you describe only really work against good players. Identify the good players and up the bluff factor. ABC poker works very well against bad players. So the title of this thread is correct, although it's not something that hasn't been discussed many times before.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:30 AM

They work against all types of players if you read them right. Works in the 6s all the way to the 215s. I think you guys think that I am bluffing every single hand or that I am advocating that. I am not. I say if the situation arises. Also, maybe not this forum so much but in the MTT forum I see players stuck to their bible HOH without expanding their knowledge of the game. I read HOH and follow its principles too but I have expanded on them for myself. ICM again does not tell you what type of player you are playing against and if he is going to play one way against you and another against another player. Now let this thread die if you guys are just going to flame. If you disagree with me fine but no need to be rude about it.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The plays you describe only really work against good players. Identify the good players and up the bluff factor. ABC poker works very well against bad players. So the title of this thread is correct, although it's not something that hasn't been discussed many times before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's make more blanket statements that are highly dependant on game context!

Always push from MP1 if the BB has between 8 and 10 bb's!