Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: The REAL story on Pokershare/UB

[ QUOTE ]
If UB wanting Pokershare out was the reason for them closing, why doesn't pokershare just find a different software source. I only played at Pokershare cuz of the bonuses, not for the software. If they got some decent software and offered the same benefits such as the profit sharing, why wouldn't anyone rather play there. Its obvious people were playing there for the benefits, shouldn't be hard finding new software.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Must be lots of good networks looking for a skin like PokerShare to market high rakeback and profit-sharing to their existing high-volume player base.

People learn from the mistakes of others. It only took UB a couple of months to figure out something that Party struggled with for a couple of years. Now we have two bad examples for network operators to learn from.

Things don't look to happy at Pokerroom either. Maybe they are next? We'll also have to see how the old-line Prima sites feel about the upstarts.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Must be lots of good networks looking for a skin like PokerShare to market high rakeback and profit-sharing to their existing high-volume player base.

[/ QUOTE ]

What suggests that the same thing wouldn't happen on any other network?

Clearly UB couldn't stand the competition. Why would the 'flagship' site on any other network let some newcomer take away all of their players? UB didn't.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 PM

Hi Dan,

[ QUOTE ]
The rakeback situation is questionable. It will be up to Pokershare to distribute the rakeback to its affiliates. It's possible that they will either go under or claim financial hardship, meaning that your rakeback may never arrive. However, you should keep the pressure on your affiliate to make sure he's telling you the truth, and isn't using this situation to pocket the rakeback and blame Pokershare.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more or less what the announcement on my affiliate's site says, and I am shocked and appalled by that notion. My affiliate basically said, "you will get your money if we get ours". That wasn't the deal! The deal was, MY AFFILIATE will pay me x % of the rake I generate at Pokershare, in exchange for signing up through it. Whether they get paid this month is of no concern to me, at least as far as them paying me goes. In this business, I realize that the only accountability is market-driven (lost business), but that doesn't change the fact that it would be a gross ethical violation for my affiliate to refuse to pay my rakeback. Your statement above lends validity to their position, but that position has no merit, as far as I can see.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the info Dan - you spelled it out just about exactly the way that I imagined it.

FWIW, this is most certainly some type of anti-trust violation. UB, in effect, used its market share to exclude a competitor under an agreement w/ its parent.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dan,

[ QUOTE ]
The rakeback situation is questionable. It will be up to Pokershare to distribute the rakeback to its affiliates. It's possible that they will either go under or claim financial hardship, meaning that your rakeback may never arrive. However, you should keep the pressure on your affiliate to make sure he's telling you the truth, and isn't using this situation to pocket the rakeback and blame Pokershare.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more or less what the announcement on my affiliate's site says, and I am shocked and appalled by that notion. My affiliate basically said, "you will get your money if we get ours". That wasn't the deal! The deal was, MY AFFILIATE will pay me x % of the rake I generate at Pokershare, in exchange for signing up through it. Whether they get paid this month is of no concern to me, at least as far as them paying me goes. In this business, I realize that the only accountability is market-driven (lost business), but that doesn't change the fact that it would be a gross ethical violation for my affiliate to refuse to pay my rakeback. Your statement above lends validity to their position, but that position has no merit, as far as I can see.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nonsense. If your affiliate doesn't get paid, he is not obligated to pay you. If he was, then every affiliate would go broke every time a site closed down and didn't pay their affiliates.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dan,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nonsense. If your affiliate doesn't get paid, he is not obligated to pay you. If he was, then every affiliate would go broke every time a site closed down and didn't pay their affiliates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Them's the breaks. That's the business you're in. It's not all free money and fast cars.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:49 PM

I wonder if I can sign up on UB to get rakeback (I've never had an account there.)
Old 11-02-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The deal was, MY AFFILIATE will pay me x % of the rake I generate at Pokershare, in exchange for signing up through it. Whether they get paid this month is of no concern to me

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case, the affiliate would have to make a lot more money each money, to be able to pay this. IE everyone will get 5% less rakeback each and every month.

Me sir not like thiis...
Old 11-02-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dan,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Them's the breaks. That's the business you're in. It's not all free money and fast cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was just the nature of the business, then it wouldn't exist, because no one, or at least VERY few people, would be willing to assume that much risk.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:56 PM

This is a very informative Dan. Thank you for taking the time to write that, because myself and several friends of mine wanted to know the answer to that. I have been a UB player for lots of years.

I have a few extra questions to the thread:
Where is UB's office based out of? Canada?
Excapsa, did they start UB or did they just buy it? Do they list as seperate companies or is it something else?
Does this connect with GreenTiepoker, another UB skin? I am guessing no, because GreenTie has done a lot of promotions in the U.S.

I can sorta see why people have decided not to play on UB again, but I still think UB is a stable and creditable site.