Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Do ME final tables usually last that long?

If you made the WSOP ME just the pros, it would nearly kill poker. It would even hurt party poker. Less fish would be interested since all they see is a bunch of rich white guys playing in it.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:07 PM

Somehow I knew the topic of changing the wsop format just because not enough pros made the final table would come up. You mean to tell me you weren't impressed with how well the pros did? Alot of pros did very well even in this enormous field which was enough to prove to me they still hold out strong regardless the fields.

Matusow, raymer, ivey, flack, lederer, watkinson, juanda... and most of "those" players nobody had heard of until ESPN introduced them to you. Matusow wasnt the only player at the final table who could be consired "pro" but since he's the only recognizable one it seems that way.

At next year's wsop you'll be recognizing names from this years wsop and hoping they do well too... why? because tv creates the player's popularity.. not the other way around.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

At next year's wsop you'll be recognizing names from this years wsop and hoping they do well too... why? because tv creates the player's popularity.. not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

For example, before the 2003 WSOP, very few people had ever heard of Sam Farha despite Farha being a successful high stakes player.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:45 PM

i'd assume it was largely a function to the very large stack sizes relative to the blinds -- the # of chips in play was over 2x those in '04 and nearly 7x those in '03 but it didn't seem like there was blinds increased nearly fast enough to offset that.

that being said, there was a lot of fast play - far faster than the blind acceleration would seem to dictate.