Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 02-10-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Flop 2 pair no kicker

I had just sat down and posted in CO when...

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

<font color="green">I raised because I thought I probably had the best hand, but was vulnerable to overcards.</font>

Turn: (5.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero...?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Flop 2 pair no kicker

I would likely fold the flop.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Folds. You're losing to a ton of hands.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:32 PM

Default bump/

Does anyone else agree or disagree with folding the flop here?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Fold or raise situation really and I don't quite feel comfortable raising my pair of tens 3 kicker.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:43 PM

Fold. You answered it yourself:

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I probably had the best hand, but was vulnerable to overcards

[/ QUOTE ]

You're also isolated in a not-so-large pot and facing a c/r with a modest holding after an overcard hits the turn. Pick a better spot.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: bump/

It's a borderline decision whether to fold or raise the flop here. On one hand, you've got 7 small bets in the pot already, which makes you want to protect your marginal holding.

On the other hand, you have no kicker and huge reverse implied odds, both from the flush draw and overcards which could cripple your pair of tens.

I still raise the flop however and give myself a chance to win the pot. I'll bet the turn also and then use my posiition to get a free showdown on the river if even one player is there with me. I'd fold to any aggression from other players. I'm not sure this is the correct course of action, but I like to take the more aggressive route when faced with a tough decision.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold or raise situation really and I don't quite feel comfortable raising my pair of tens 3 kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is basic, but what makes it a fold or raise situation? What makes raise &gt; call in this situation?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:20 PM

Hero folds to the turn raise; unless he's raising on a pure bluff, you've got either 2 outs or 0 outs to win the hand.

I like the flop raise, as most times you will have the best hand, and more than a few times you'll take this pot down after a blank turn (if not immediately). You have to bet any non-heart turn, and then check through unimproved on the river.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is basic, but what makes it a fold or raise situation? What makes raise &gt; call in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea of raising is to protect your hand from overcard draws those times that it's ahead. Hand protection, obviously, is a very important concept, but I think it might be slightly misapplied here. For one thing, there's less incentive to protect your hand when you're not all that confident that it's the best hand. For another thing, two other players have already put in money here, and they're almost certainly going to see a turn card if their hands have any sort of outs to beat yours. For another thing, the pot isn't *all* that large.

Calling isn't necessarily awful in this spot.