Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: atheists-- what is your source of hope?

I don't think these replies necessarily imply that. Hope is an emotion that can come after becoming an atheist. It doesn't invalidate the position. These posters are just answering the question as humans who live with the position of atheism. We cannot separate our lives from our philosophical position; well, we can but if we did it would imply a lack of faith in that position.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 AM

My source of hope is that one day I might meet Britney Spears.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 AM

I'm sorry, could you please repeat the question? I was distracted by the most amazing avatar I've ever seen in my life.

Oh right, hope. For me, knowing there is no higher power only inspires me to do as much good as I can and leave a good solid impact on the world. If I am about to die in the ER, well, I guess I just have to say nice hand and be done with it.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:37 AM

When you understand the fundamental absurdity of existence, you understand that hope does not require an external source. You hope, or you don't.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:20 PM

"Thus, it takes a particularly stubborn, strong-willed person to rely solely upon their logical convictions to remain an atheist. Without some alternative source of hope, it is a difficult lifestyle to maintain."

Atheism is not a lIFESTYLE. Do people who think that Micky Mantle couldn't do differential equations, live a certain lifestyle?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheism is not a lIFESTYLE. Do people who think that Micky Mantle couldn't do differential equations, live a certain lifestyle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sitting here cracking up laughing. Not at this quote, the idea, nor David. It is just that, who (else) would even think of such an analogy? One of the reasons I frequent this forum: never a dull moment.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:57 PM

Atheism is not wrot with gloom and pessimism. Why do you feel this must be so?

I also feel people need hope, comfort, and a sense of belonging. I seek those things, just not in religion. I hope I will be able to contribute something good and meaningful to the world before I die, since after I die, well--that's pretty much it. That is my hope.

Atheism is not a lifestyle, it is a "belief" based on sound thinking and available information.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheism is not wrot with gloom and pessimism. Why do you feel this must be so?

I also feel people need hope, comfort, and a sense of belonging. I seek those things, just not in religion. I hope I will be able to contribute something good and meaningful to the world before I die, since after I die, well--that's pretty much it. That is my hope.

Atheism is not a lifestyle, it is a "belief" based on sound thinking and available information.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, I might add that a world "without god" is what we've bneen in anyway, but just hadn't thought clearly enough about before - the "world" is unchanged; only the explanations are different.

As an atheist, I believe that humanity is a species amonst species that has evolved on earth; that the species will become, as all do, extinct at some future point in time. As individuals, and as a species, our "existence" is contingent....

However, I also regard "hope" as a human emotion, and recommend that the proper way to view it is, as with any human emotions, within a human context - that is, within a human timeframe. I suspect that those who view "atheism" as "hopeless" are specifically thinking in terms of "eternity". And, I agree, atheism offers nothing in such terms or timeframes. However, there is a possibility for "hope" within one's own life, community, and historical context - whether hope is, or isn't justified within any of those contexts is subject to the same calculations and/or considerations for each of us, regardless of religious affiliation....
Old 12-16-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In reading the posts in this forum I cannot help but admire the quality of ideas and expressions of beliefs and non beliefs portrayed. So my question to atheists is what is your source of hope? In my adult life I have had two occasions in particular where I had to go to intensive care, on call, day in and day out, and if I would not have had a belief system I would never had made it. So when an atheist has an emergency, and sacrifices have to be made for the good of another, day in and day out, making your own future uncertain, where do you find hope, solace and joy, if you do not believe in a higher power? Thank you for taking the time to read and or answer my post.

respectfully submitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

My source of hope is that one day people will realize they don't need a being in the clouds in order to have hope.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We would hope that... but often it's based on non-thinking.