Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Yet another KK hand

This hand came up just as I was winding down for my session. The villian hasn't been at the table too long, but since arriving, I have seen him push on multiple scare cards, all on raised pots. At the hand in question, he was 55/15 over 75 hands. What made this hand so hard wasn't the push at the end, not exactly, but the betting into me. On the previous hands, he had check/called or called instead of betting. Since I was running somewhat card dry, my stats were pretty low and I hadn't played a hand in a few orbits (short stack reraises were pushing out my more marginal hands), so my image was pretty tight. Although, he had been pushing on everyone, loose or tight, so I'm not sure that was a factor.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">SB ($27.05)</font>
BB ($25)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($22.35)</font>
MP ($13.85)
Button ($34.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $1.15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB calls $2.75.

Turn: ($10.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, SB calls $5.50.

River: ($24.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $14.8 (All-In)</font>, Hero ????.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Yet another KK hand

fold
Old 11-24-2005, 07:05 AM

I would have bet more on the flop, and raised more on the turn. Your "read" aside, I think the river's a fold as there are not many hands that you can beat.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 11-24-2005, 08:46 AM

I think you can safetely fold here on the river. Rest of the hand looks OK even if I think a raise to $1 is enough preflop. But better to raise to much and to less preflop imo.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:25 AM

In this case, I went back and looked at my notes and started reviewing some hand histories. I have literally written "Has pushed scare cards (1 flush, 1 straight, 3 pairs and 1 overcard) 6 times in 50 hands." Also, what sort of hand range do you put him on? I haven't seen him show down too many hands because he keeps aggroing people out of the pots, so in many ways, my hand reading is strongly based on his stats, as weak as that is. I realize 77 hands is a small sample and 55 VP$P means he is playing almost any paint, so is even trying to make a hand range meaningful?

If making a handrange isn't really plausible, what is the case for folding? He has repeatedly pushed scary boards and he is really loose both seem to tell me to call. Alternatively, his pattern changed, he is both betting into me and calling my reraises, telling me he is not stone cold bluffing and I am left wondering if he has the J or the Q.

His betting pattern starts w/a half pot sized bet and then calls a pot sized reraise. This tells me he has something and is trying to find out what I have, but at the moment, to raise seems like he is trying to keep me honest so could be either J or Q, while the call indicates TP, Q. The turn lead again confirms he has something, but since the bet is the same size as the flop bet, now I wonder if the Q is correct, although I can see a weak Q (QT) doing this and the turn call again supports the Q supposition. Finally, the river push seems to be strength, i.e. a Q. Should this be my thought progression or should it be, instead of having the turn call confirm a weak Q over J, listen to my earlier read and disbelieve he holds the Q?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:57 AM

Sorry, I misread your flop action, your raise on the flop was fine.

I guess his hand range is pretty wide, but as I think youre only beating a lowly Jx (unlikely imo), or busted str8 draw (bit more likely), a fold is in order. Especially as youve shown reasonable strength on all streets.

But who knows, Villain has played this hand like a real donk no matter what he's holding, so that makes hand reading difficult - maybe you can call based on feel. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My guess is that hes holding a weak Q.

Ojo_Rojo