Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-05-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Rooting for my team to lose

For the first team in my history of a sports fan, I am debating whether or not to root for my team. While I am not jumoing off the bandwagon, I am wondering whether it would be better for the Vikings to lose the rest of thier games, completely overthrow everyone on thier coaching staff, and get a high draft pick where they can draft Reggie Bush or D'Brickshaw Ferguson. Anyone else ever be in a similar spot?
Old 11-05-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Rooting for my team to lose

IMHO, the Vikings have more problems than one Reggie Bush, awesome as he is, will solve. How Tice still has a job is amazing. If Culpepper can come back healthy next year, he's got some potential weapons to work with on offense. But, when was the last time this organization had a defense worth a f**k?

BTW, nothing wrong with rooting for them to lose for a better draft pick since the season's a wash now.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:01 PM

sorry, packers fans already had this idea.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:02 PM

If you are a true fan of your team, you never root for them to lose, IMO. The draft is a crapshoot on many different levels anyway. Sure, there's value in moving up a spot in the draft. But there's more value in wins and losses right now, building something for next season. If you are picking #1 overall in the NFL draft, you'll need it.

As for the Vikings, I wouldn't give up just yet. It isn't even midseason yet. Beat the Lions this weekend and you're right back in it. Brad Johnson is a decent QB if he stays healthy. I almost think he might add a spark and a more mature leadership for the Vikes right now. You've still got the Bears back at the Metrodome. 8-8 might still win this division. Put some wins together, get some momentum into the playoffs, who knows.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:17 PM

If the vikes can make a negative run the rest of the season, Tice will be no where near the sideline next season.

So we can have Bush (or someone else good) and get a new head coach.

The problem next year is Culpepper may not be ready.

Go Vikes,
Ken
Old 11-05-2005, 03:22 PM

They won't lose enough games to get Bush if he comes out. So need to worry about him.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, the Vikings have more problems than one Reggie Bush, awesome as he is, will solve.

[/ QUOTE ]
He might not solve it, but he sure will help.
[ QUOTE ]
How Tice still has a job is amazing. If Culpepper can come back healthy next year, he's got some potential weapons to work with on offense. But, when was the last time this organization had a defense worth a f**k?

[/ QUOTE ]

There defense should be good they have talent wise a top 3 secondary, they have a good d-line, and there linebackers are terrible. Based on what I have seen there defense schemes is terrible, as everyone is tearing it apart. Firing Tice sure will help, but they also need to fire Scott Loney, and Ted Cotrell. The Vikings have built a good team personnel wise and they draft well there coaching and execution is just awful.

BTW, nothing wrong with rooting for them to lose for a better draft pick since the season's a wash now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2005, 08:08 PM

The most amazing sports experience I've had was rooting for Sevilla to lose a game against Oviedo.

For those who don't follow European soccer, the bottom three teams in the first division get relegated to the second division. Sevilla were sitting in last place all but mathematically eliminated (they had to win their last 5 or 6 games and have all kinds of [censored] happen when they only won a few games in their first 32). At this point Sevilla were playing Oviedo who were sitting third to last (in the relegation spot). Just above them in the table were Betis, our archrival.

The fans were looking for Sevilla to lose, throwing the game if necesary in order to get Betis relegated, or at least help. When the match started Sevilla controlled things. They were knocking the ball around. When they moved forward anywhere near the Oviedo goal the fans were pretty much all whistling like mad (keep in mind that the Spanish whistle instead of boo). Fairly early on Oviedo scored a goal when a cross came in and the Sevilla defender lowered his head which allowed the forward to head the ball in. At this point the fans went crazy. Oviedo later scored two more goals making it 0-3. Sevilla fairly quickly rebounded and got two goals back making it 2-3. Once again they continued to control the ball and play and whenever they got close the fans would whistle. We played like we were up by a goal, just knocking it around and holding onto the ball. It ended 2-3 to the delight of both the home and away fans. Throughout this time Betis was playing in Mallorca and getting thrashed. As is customary when a goal is scored in the league they flash an update on the scoreboard. Betis lost 4-0, the crowd going crazy for every one of these goals.

At the end of the season Betis ended up being relegated. They were behind Oviedo by exactly 3 points. I have no doubt that if Sevilla wanted to they would have won the game. I'm not sure how the tiebreaker went but if Sevilla had won Oviedo and Betis would have been tied and only one would stay up.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:07 PM

big deal...what about pondering about your country!!
Chile soccer federation had a crappy manager, a president who is an absolute moron,etc.
I wanted them to qualify for WC because Im chilean, but I also felt it wasnt fair for the president to get the pleasure of qualifying for a WC.
How crappy is chilean football??
A first division match wasnt played because the home team didnt have a stadium to play the game in, of course since that club is the one the president supports the game will be simply postponed OMFG!!! that is totaaly uncoceivabble!!! that motherfcuker ruined chilean soccer, he didnt deserve to go to a world cup..no way.

ps: starting this thread u have me the chance to rant.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the first team in my history of a sports fan, I am debating whether or not to root for my team. While I am not jumoing off the bandwagon, I am wondering whether it would be better for the Vikings to lose the rest of thier games, completely overthrow everyone on thier coaching staff, and get a high draft pick where they can draft Reggie Bush or D'Brickshaw Ferguson. Anyone else ever be in a similar spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, you get the lions today. that's a double digit win for you guys for sure.