FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: folded to you in the CO with KTo
call 0 0%
raise 93 95.88%
fold 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Should I go back to school?

This is a pool I wont answer. This is up to you. If you make a dissision which is nor your own then you always will think, what if I would not listen to 2+2 and done the other thing.

Finish school is always good but it is hard to get good grades (or any grades at all) or learn anythin if you whish to play poker instead of reading... It is all up to you!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it seems most people agree that I should have a degree, but what I don't understand is why I should get it NOW as opposed to later if/when I need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are encouraging you to get it now because once you have been away from college for a few years, it will be almost impossible to go back. You are going to be working, playing poker, married, perhaphs children some day, older than the other students, earning too much money to go back to school, etc. etc.

This isn't a situation where you're just starting college. You already have 4 years of credits and your education is paid for.

There's a lot more about a college degree than simply comparing your potential earning power to your current income. There are a lot of intagibles invovled. The people on this board cannot weight those for you -- only you can. And you must make sure that you are being completely honest in your assessment.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:06 PM

Go back to school when you are ready to go back to school and are ready to benefit from it.

I didn't go to college right away after high school--I wasn't ready. I spent some time in the military and then later I took my shot at fulfilling my life-long dream of being a professional fighter. My professional kick-boxing career was short-lived (ouch!) and it was then I decided to go back to school. It was a good thing for me to go to school a few years later. I went when I wanted to and was enthused about going. I got a lot more out of it than I would have had I gone because it was "the right thing to do." Even though I didn't do great in high school, by delaying college until I was enthused about going, I wound up getting a better education and enjoying it at the same time. I spent two years getting good grades in a community college followed by attending and graduating Stanford University. I'm glad I waited--it allowed me to get a great education that I could not have possibly received earlier.

Good Luck to ya!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:13 PM

I voted no.
It sounds like it will make you less happy now.
You sound like you have no problems going back later in life.
A degree isn't a job guarantee (at least where I live).
Old 08-22-2005, 05:25 PM

I would definitly go back to school, even though I know what it feels like to be in that kind of situation you are right now. I was in about the same situation last year and really thought that I would be making a living of poker playing. I did for at least six months and then the odds turned against me. I was losing money, and losing money , ...
My personal situation changed as well an suddenly I had to work in underpaid jobs I didnīt like. I had three jobs at a time and life was hell. I somehow got out of that but all I was thinking back then was "why didnīt I finish school" I wouldnīt close that door if I were you, itīs just one more option you have if you finish school and having one more option makes you better then the rest.
all the best
tess
Old 08-22-2005, 05:45 PM

I voted the correct answer: No.

This isn't even debatable in my opinion. You said you have made $200,000. With that you can at least buy a decent house in middle-class Oklahoma for around 100k. Obviously you will need insurance which won't be too bad and pay utilities, but with the money you have in your pocket right now you are set for years.

Do what you're doing now, and then in five years it doesn't work out you can go back to school. People say you won't go back to school if you leave for a few years. It depends entirely on the situation. Most people who leave college go into a sorry work field and live a very low class life and do not have many options. They don't have the option to go back to school when they are paying rent on an apartment or monthly payments off a house and must have a job to survive.

If in five years the poker deal isn't working out, you go back. But for now you can have a house payed off which is the most important investment you'll have, and you give something you actually want to do a try.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:01 PM

What happens when you get divorced because your poker career crumbles. You would be left with nothing. Get the degree, you will have the safety of always being able to get a job in the future.

If you really dont want to go to school, we cant stop you, but the right thing to do is what ggbman said.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 PM

It seems obvious that you don't want to go back to school. Plus you're not really sure on the direction/subject you'd like to major in. I'd continue to take a very light load of 1 - 2 courses and play poker full time. Perhaps you'll find a subject that really interests you while you take advantage of the poker boom.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted the correct answer: No.

This isn't even debatable in my opinion. You said you have made $200,000. With that you can at least buy a decent house in middle-class Oklahoma for around 100k. Obviously you will need insurance which won't be too bad and pay utilities, but with the money you have in your pocket right now you are set for years.

Do what you're doing now, and then in five years it doesn't work out you can go back to school. People say you won't go back to school if you leave for a few years. It depends entirely on the situation. Most people who leave college go into a sorry work field and live a very low class life and do not have many options. They don't have the option to go back to school when they are paying rent on an apartment or monthly payments off a house and must have a job to survive.

If in five years the poker deal isn't working out, you go back. But for now you can have a house payed off which is the most important investment you'll have, and you give something you actually want to do a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the correct answer.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:20 PM

And if you are going to be taking over a business, you don't need college. If your road is business, then you don't need a degree. If that fails you then need another option and that is a degree.