Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 1 vs 9
Hotel California - The Eagles 105 61.76%
American Pie - Don McLean 65 38.24%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Do I feel lucky?

[ QUOTE ]
there are already two people vying for this pot

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you missed it, there are 3 other people in the pot. MP2 called but the converter didnt make it red.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:36 PM

I voted fold. IMO, you have litte FE, it's early, you have plenty of chips, and there very well may be a higher flush draw out there. Isn't that the very point of checking the flop, so that you can see what the action is and re-evaluate?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:38 PM

Because of the buy in level, I\'m assuming I\'m playing against decent players. With that assumption in mind, I think there are only two hands that should be calling your push in this spot: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (marginal)

By pushing you\'re defining your hand pretty well, it screams that you have both draws. I wouldn\'t think there are many $109 players that would call here for a coin flip at best. This might be a fold for them even with the cards turned up.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
K T (marginal)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's very marginal since I already have the T in my hand.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check, planning to check raise all in. But when BB gets raised I have no fold equity, so I let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you define fold equity? The only one I think might not think they can let this hand go is BB. And frankly, I think he has the weakest hand. Furthermore, (thanks for pointing this out PVS), MP2 may lay his hand down due to being sandwiched. Leaving us back with CO again.

CO, if folds, is still left with over t1100. When you say you have no FE, I assumed you meant against this guy. I disagree here.

There's only one serious negative to pushing that I can see here. If any one player calls, there could be a domino effect, and have a 3 way pot. Which, I guess, is good and bad.

Yeah, I can see how folding looks attractive as well. Calling is still bleh.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because of the buy in level, I\'m assuming I\'m playing against decent players. With that assumption in mind, I think there are only two hands that should be calling your push in this spot: A Q and K T (marginal)

[/ QUOTE ]

What about hands like 44 or JJ? Should they not be calling a push?

They'd likely know they have the best hand right now.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because of the buy in level, I\'m assuming I\'m playing against decent players. With that assumption in mind, I think there are only two hands that should be calling your push in this spot: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (marginal)

By pushing you\'re defining your hand pretty well, it screams that you have both draws. I wouldn\'t think there are many $109 players that would call here for a coin flip at best. This might be a fold for them even with the cards turned up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you push. You want to pick up the pot which is quite a decent size right now (half of hero's stack).

Also, by pushing, you don't define your draws. All your saying is I have a monster hand, come and beat it. You could have 44 here and still be making the same play.

Regardless, you're only getting called by:

QQ
JJ
KcQc
AcQc
QJ
Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 PM

I can honestly say.... I dont know. I know the math and such.

But am I a horrible player to rely on intuition some in places like this? Im not talking "gut" im talking first reaction my brain spits out I just do.

Its difficult for me to answer posts like this, because im not there. All I know is, if I think too long in a situation like this then I start to time out on other tables and things are a mess. My first instinct would be to checkraise all in I think, but if too much action happened before it came back to me I lay it down sometimes. I reserve the right to be wrong.

It made my brain stop when im staring at two draws, but both draws are the ass end. Often I will release an edge if I feel its just too tricky. I still have chips, and I think there are better spots.

I think I suceeded in not giving a straight answer.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I suceeded in not flushing out a straight answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your response
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 PM

The call doesn't mean anything. On the rare chance it does, he has a set which means somebody else doesn't have a set, which means that they will fold. MP2 doesn't concern me at all.

Pushing will almost always get you HU as a coinflip with lots of dead chips. Calling is fine if you like having 300 chips behind at the end of the hand. Folding...bleh. I like pushing. If your default play with a set is the comedy 'make it 987 of your 1024' option, you can go with that, too.