Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Pot odds + Ace + Sooted, what to do

I wanted to post a hand today. This is most interesting I can find without looking too hard.

This is 50/5. Several hands after the 86 hand.

The villian has been pretty passive. He had limped and min-raised a few times in levels 1-3. He pretty much folded through level 4.

A few hands earlier on level 5 (100/200), he limped from MP with only 405 left. He then bet his remaining 205 on the flop and everyone folded.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter

MP (t2480)
CO (t2310)
Button (t1375)
Hero (t1745)
BB (t1610)
UTG (t480)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t480 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>
Old 05-06-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Pot odds + Ace + Sooted, what to do

I vote fold, since you dont close the action and your hand is not all that great.

Smooth calling is a bad idea unless your BB opponent would read a smooth call as a monster and fold. Pretty rare that you can assume such higher thinking among internet opponents. If you do a shutout reraise, you will be risking alot to get into a situation where you are pretty unlikely to be a big favorite over anything UTG holds and are quite possibly dominated by him.

So Id fold and pull a PVS next hand.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:55 PM

I push here, the big blind will fold all but the best hands, and UTG is pushing with any two because he is about to be blinded down to 180 chips if he does not. If UTG doubles up, he will be an easy target next hand for you to steal his blinds.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I push here, the big blind will fold all but the best hands, and UTG is pushing with any two because he is about to be blinded down to 180 chips if he does not. If UTG doubles up, he will be an easy target next hand for you to steal his blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I probably push here too, but I'm not sure that we can take for granted that UTG is pushing with any two OR that BB will only call us with monsters. However, if BB folds most of the time, I think that's good enough, as we're getting just about enough in pot odds to deal with cases where UTG is holding A7, 88, etc., and this doesn't even take into the account that any broadway is almost certainly in his range here (and probably some weaker holdings, but I'm still not sold on any 2), which we'd love to see.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i agree that this is a push. Even if UTG has been passive so far he will probably realise that he is about to be blinded out and need to make a move with pretty bad hands here. I don't think he will be pushing any two though.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:12 PM

I would have folded before reading this thread, now I'm thinking push. Anyone who isnt in lecture right now want to work out the math? It looks like you are getting 3:1 on your money if the BB folds
Old 05-06-2005, 03:17 PM

I used to push, however I now fold and take my chances pushing when I am first into the pot.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Not pushing any two?
I dont get that at all. The villian has 480 chips. You are in the BB posting 200. So, it's 280 to get 960. I call this with a 23o.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded before reading this thread, now I'm thinking push. Anyone who isnt in lecture right now want to work out the math? It looks like you are getting 3:1 on your money if the BB folds

[/ QUOTE ]

But what is the BB getting when you push if he is holding something like AJs?

You are risking your tourney life for a shot at a marginally EV situation. What range will BB call with? Top 10% of hands? The 10% risk isn't worth it.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not pushing any two?
I dont get that at all. The villian has 480 chips. You are in the BB posting 200. So, it's 280 to get 960. I call this with a 23o.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a highly confusing reply.

He's not talking about PVS pushing any two, but UTG.

PVS is in the SB, not the BB, which makes a pretty substantial difference in the odds he's getting, though they're still fairly juicy. (EDIT: It also looks to me like you're including the 280 you put in in what you can win and ignoring the SB, both of which are no-nos when calculating your odds. For somebody who was ranting about another player being a fish the other day, you sure do seem to show a lack of ability to get anything about this hand right.)

There's a player to act behind you, which you better take into consideration before smoothcalling this with 32o.